We found out that the school is thinking of requiring us to

rent laptops next year. or we can purchase one for our children. I am thinking that i would be afraid for them to bring rentals to and from school and that keeping one at home is a good option. but i really cannot afford the expense. they need them to do homework and go on sites such as pbs kids and spelling city.com. but i notice they have netbooks available cheaper but i know for gaming it is not good. so would they work ok with the pbs kids games and spelling city etc or am i gonna have to relent and go with the more expensive and get cheaper laptops.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Shopping

• Netbooks work fine for online games. They just don't work for World of Warcraft or The Sims. I use my netbook often and my kids use it for Nick Jr. and spelling city.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• A basic laptop would be fine for homework.

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• you know this is what makes me unhappy with schools. is they start wanting you to have laptops for your kids but at what age do you think that a child can be responsible to carry one to and from school without dropping it or some accident happening to it. its a bit of an expensive piece of equipment to think that if the child dropped it you would have to pay the school if renting to replace it or if you bought it yourself for you to replace it. i think if they want the kids to use a computer in class maybe they should put computers at all the desks like in colleges computer labs. that way they are shuffled here and there. and if they dont do they plan on offering a discount through a company for the parents to buy one for their child. cuz i sure dont want to spend 400 plus on a laptop or netbook that could be damaged.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I agree Laura is is ridiculous and on top of it they need to know how to write. but they say it is because of technology that they need to learn it because it is their future. I do not want to spend a ton of money for something they may break. my oldest is more responsible with computer equipment then the youngest. but that does not mean there can not be accidents.

WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• What are they going to do to stop theft? That would be my big thing besides having to spend the money.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• yes it is the future but if thats the case and they can afford to buy them and the parents rent it then they should be able to afford or do fundraisers to put computers into the classrooms. they should sit the classrooms up like college classrooms and put desktops at each seat if they want them to be infront of a computer.
    at this rate our children will not be able to have readable handwriting will not learn cursive or be able to do simple math without a computer or calculator.
    not to mention that computers can be very distracting from lectures. i have been in many college classes where ppl have brought their laptops or in classes where we had computers at our desks and tehy have sat playing games and not listened to the lecture. i find it very distracting and disrespectful of other classmates and the teacher. i do not think that children have the disapline to have a computer in front of them and listen to the lecture.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• And they expect all the kids to be resposible with them? I would be upset. Most people have a personal computer at home, kids do not need a personal lap top too imo. Having a personal computer is a decision of the parents, not of the school!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2011