8 year old cannot sit still at all

we were watching a movie and she wanted to sit on dad lap. he told her ok but to sit still. she would not. so she was told to go sit on the couch. she got angry and started puckering her lip out. i to told her couch or floor. she gave me the i am not gonna do it look. so i said fine if your not going to mind nor sit still go to your room if your gonna pout. she went to her room. i notice at home she will not sit still. shoot it is a battle to get her to sit in a chair to eat dinner. she wants to stand or half sit. we have to remind her to sit on her butt all the time. and forget movie theater she is up and down in the chair and talks and talks even though she wants to see it. At school they say the only time they see this is if they have programs. I am at a loss

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• LOL! I know this is going to be frowned upon, but if she is unable to go outside and get our her excess energy, give her a sip of Mountain Dew. If she's hyper, that's going to actually produce a calming effect on her. That is how my granddaughter's doctor told us to check her for signs of ADHD... told us if we saw a big difference in her behavior during the day, to let him know. LOL! Do you know it actually works?!!! Too funny!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would try and talk to her about why she feels she can't sit still. I mean don't yell at her because maybe it is something she can't control. If you really think there is something going on I would talk to the doctor about it.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Mountain dew makes them less hyper? did not know that one
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• i know how you feel my son can only sit still for maybe a minute to two and he can not even follow direction we tell him to go to his room and he is out every minute to come out he doesnt take to discipline at all he says rules are boring and he doesnt want to listen and this goes on every day over a hundred times we sound like a broken record
    poohbear598

Answer by poohbear598 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

______________

Mountain Dew contains large amounts of caffeine and caffeine is a stimulant. Most ADHD medications are stimulant based. I have heard this before and have heard some parents say that it did work for their children.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• i would be afraid of the salt and sugar in it though. oh boy
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2011