How much do you have to pay into your benefits/ pension percentage wise?

I'm kind of amazed at the numbers being balked at in WI. We don't get a pension, but both our companies do a company match to our 401k's- his is up to five percent, mine is two percent.

I think that is VERY fair.

When the health insurance was under me at the restaurant (when I was a manager), we were paying $220 dollars out of every paycheck... or forty percent of the health care costs. Now that we are under him, it's much less, we are paying ten percent of cost. We get a chart every year.

Am I too young? Many places don't offer pensions AT ALL anymore. What kinds of numbers would be acceptable in Wisconsin?

Why should people get raises as a group, and a higher percentage of raise than the rest of the country is getting? I just don't get what the big fight is here. Everyone else buckled down without raises for a while, I think state workers should, as well.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• At my last job I only paid $18 a paycheck for medical for my whole family. Crazy, huh? Now, I pay about $120 a paycheck. They contribute 5% to my 401k no matter what. I don't have to put anything in, they still do. Thats nice.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I should also say, while I have NO problems with collective bargaining for working conditions, I don't feel AT ALL that salaries/merit increases should be bargained for in a group. Anything that has to do with money should be earned.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I believe my required deductions for the state/municipal pension fund were about 3%. I don't remember, though, because I'll never see any of it, since I moved a year before I was vested and all that money is gone. Doesn't matter, since the board of trustees were caught using it to finance "company retreats" to the Bahamas. What bit I paid in during the years I worked there went towards Mai Thais and Pina Coladas. And I have never worked anywhere private sector that offered a traditional pension. Even my mother, who worked at her job over 30 years, saw hers converted to a 401k sometime around Clinton's first term.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I currently pay $38 per paycheck for FULL medical for 2 adults and 2 children! Before my husband dropped his employer offered health insurance plan, he was getting just under $200 taken out per paycheck--That "extra" $5200 he now takes home is going a long way towards our investment portfolio! :o)

I, of course, would have no problem paying MORE than what I'm paying--either to my pension or health care! It's just being a part of the union that irritates me.

As the mother of two autistic children, I have always maintained that the organization "Autism Speaks" does NOT speak for, or represent me or my children--there are far better organizations and resources out there that don't get the press or funding, because like the teacher's union, Autism Speaks has the "brand name," they get all the money, and therefore have ALL the power. So I fiercely oppose them, and tell everyone who supports them, why they shouldn't!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• 6% goes to pension and we aren't asked if we want to contribute. It is automatic. I refused the health insurance offered by the State of NC because it sucks. I use my husband's. If I were to put my family on it, it would cost about $200/month.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• We put 9% each month into my husband's tsp. I didn't get the pension plan with my work because I am only contracted to work six months so I figured I would just earn what I could earn. I turned down all the benefits since it was not a permanent position.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:26 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Hubby pays 5% into his 401K with no company match. We were putting 10% into his, but when he took a pay cut and insurance went up, we needed that 5%. I think he has a company paid pension plan, not sure on the details. Our insurance is about 5% of his pay too. We just started having to pay for medical/dental/vision about 5 or 6 years ago, before that it was provided by the company and that was MUCH better coverage.

I pay 5% into my 401K and the company matches that in company stock. I also have a company paid pension plan. I don't take the insurance because we have it through hubby's job.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 1:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Edit.....

Actually when I add insurance/dental/vision and our flex pay for out of pocket it's closer to 10% of his pay. We also have supplemental insurance through Aflac which is $100 a month for cancer/dental for both of us and something else for him only.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 2:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I don't know what the percentage is, but he pays 10% for his coverage, overall we pay $1,200 per month with very high deductibles. He is in the field of education
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Oh, and it's not about money or pensions...it's about collective bargaining.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2011