What would you do?

A friend of mine has asked me to sell his puppies from time to time since they don't know how to upload pics on their computer and probably don't want the hassle. anyway the first night they cried all night and kept waking me up. so the second night i put them in the bathroom with my 2 dogs. i thought the company would keep them calm and quite which it did. this morning i was late getting out of bed as i had not been feeling well and when i went to go take care of the dogs and puppies since no one esle in my family ever takes any responsibility for any of the pets, i noticed that it looked like on of the puppies was wet. so i said out loud why is this puppy wet but when i got closer i saw that the puppy was actually foaming from the mouth. this can't be good. i have no chemicals on the floor as i have a baby and wouldn't store in reach. i see bits of tp on the floor and 2 tiny pieces of of a sanitary pad. could the puppy ate pieces of either or. most likely. i gave him hydrogen peroxide to make him vomitt which he did and half of baby asparin which is what the owner said i should do. his gums are pretty white but he is moving and making sick puppy noises. i'm tempted to take to vet but i just forked out $638 on my own dog who has valley fever which isn't contagious. maybe the puppy has parvo even though it has gotten it's first shot already. what would you do next? do you think he might make it? i would hate to see him die but i would hate for him to die after a vet bill on a pup that isn't even mine. the owner says not worth taking to vet as to him it sounds to far gone when i said little to no color in gums.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Pets

• That's tough. The original owner doesn't want the puppy, you don't want the expense, and certainly no one in their right mind will buy that puppy possibly hanging on death's door. I would just call the vet, sometimes they will give you a poor man's diagnosis over the phone of what they think it might be. Then you can decide if it's worth the expense. You have some choices:

1) Back to the owner that pup goes, where he's most likely going to be put down.
    2) Take it to the vet and treat it at your own expense and time of bringing it back to health.
    3) Take it to the vet and have it put down.
    4) Call a rescue group for that specific breed, they may take the puppy and put the expense into him.
    5) Wait and see if nature takes its course.

This is a huge undertaking for you, and I hope your friend appreciates all you do.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I ADORE DOGS, and really love your caring nature.

1. To prevent / cure poisoning, try natural remedies hich are VERY EFFECTIVE, SAFE, CHEAPER:
    Try -3 spoonfulls of olive oil (costs 6 dollars per bottle). It has pure vitamin E and protein.

2. If the puppy is sick, I'd suspect that the puppy owner may have tricked you:
    By giving you the puppies, he handed over you the financial & ethical responsibility to take care of them.

lillyblue111

Answer by lillyblue111 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• That's very sad. I would separate that puppy from all the others first thing. Then I would call an on-call vet and ask for his opinion. After that, I'd probably be taking the puppies back to my friend and letting him sell them himself. That sounds like a lot of work for you, especially with a child to take care of. Good luck.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• as an animal lover i would definately take him. if he is in misery at least the vet can put him down.
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 12:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would call the owner and make him come get all of his puppies back. Doesn't sound like a very responsible pet owner to me. JMO,
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• talk to your friend to resolved the problem that dog has rabies...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 12:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would put that puppy in a different area away from the others in case he gets the rest sick. Its up to you weather you want to continue to take care of the puppies yourself or not. Why are they at your house anyway? Why cant you simply upload the photos & even handle the phone calls all while your friend keeps the puppies at their place? The set up you guys have dosent make sense to me hmmm I'd do what I thought I could handle & be willing to do so what are you willing to put up with with all of this?
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• These are signs of a toxin having been ingested. If the pad was scented, that may have done it. There may have been some cleaning product residue on something. I would call a vets office to get a better idea. They usually don't charge for phone calls. Or, take the animal to a local shelter. They should have vets on staff that could look at the puppy right away. You will, unfortunately, have to surrender the pup, but if it will save them, it's for the best and if they can save the puppy they'll find him a good home. I would just tell the original owner they're out the money and if they have a problem with it they can take you to court. And I would not allow them to leave their puppies with me to sell again. Handle the phone calls and upload photos for them, but do not house the puppies for them unless you have it in writing that they will cover all expenses.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If these "friends" wanted you to sell the pups, you should have just done the internet stuff and not taken on so much. It has to be a lot of work cleaning up after them. If the puppy has part of the pad in it's stomach, it may starve to death. An old neighbor of mine told me when she's get mad at people, she soaks a sponge in bacon grease and feeds it to their dog(s). The sponge never digest and the dog doesnt feel hungry and dies of malnutrion. So a vet would have to operate. I would take it to the vet and tell the owner's to pay or you will see them in court. A rescue group would also be a great way to go. They would go all out for the puppies and get the best care. then you wouldn't have to try to get money from your "friends". I think i would find new friends. lol I have nursed a lot of puppies back to health, even parvo puppies, but never one that ate pads. Good luck, I hope the puppy lives.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 8:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Take the animals to the vet ASAP!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2011