ok, i got another question. my 16 motnh old thinks its funny to bite. i tell hi no all the time, i have had ppl tell me to bite him back, but i just cant bring myself to do that. help!! what should i do?

singlemommy863

Asked by singlemommy863 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• pop him in the mouth when he does it. my son bit for the first time when he was 10 months. i popped him in the mouth and he's never done it since. he's 20 months now.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Pop him in the mouth or your going to have to bit him back. If he knows how it feels he will stop. I feel you it sucks
    Connersmom9956

Answer by Connersmom9956 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I totally agree with armywife43. I have three and none of them bit more then once thanks to this method. Don't do it hard just do it right after he bites it suprises them.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 12:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• angels723: Here what i would do You said you bit him back Pop his butt tell him no and put him in time - out if that don't work start taken things away from it you bit No Snake time for you!!!!!!! And tell him No Movies or games.............. And keep to it
    Anonymous

• Biting back is not the answer.

When you say no, do so sternly and in as 'deep' a voice as you can without sounding unnatural. Raise your voice but don't yell. With a child that age it's sometimes easy to sing-song the word or to be shrill. You want to sound authoritative and like you mean business. Then remove yourself from him. I mean literally walk away. Tell him you will not play with him/help him/read to him/whatever it is you're doing if he's going to hurt you.

Again, with a child this age consistent repetition is key. I
    Anonymous

• Easy there is no reason to pop him in the mouth, Yes I do spank my kids, but I won't pop them in the face. Every time he bites take something like a pepper and dab it on his tounge, just so he can feel the sting, tell him in a stern voice : " Every time you bite, I will put a pepper on your tounge" and follow through, My son found out very quickly Bitting was not the thing to do!!! You do not have to use peppers, you can use soap or whatever he does not like! And soon he will relate bitting with bad taste and will quit!
    Mica30

Answer by Mica30 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Well when my daughter went through her biting stage so did about five other kids at the same time. The lady who watched our kids ask us if she could try something so we said yes.

The next day she told us how it went. The kids started bitting so she bit them (not hard enough to hurt them or bring blood but hard enough they didnt like it. And she told all five of the kids biting is bad . And if they were going tobit someone they are getting bit by her .After they got bit they stoped at least they did at her house. I never had a problem again
    charly232

Answer by charly232 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• If you bite them back or hit them in the mouth, then you are role modeling the very behavior you hope to extinguish! I cannot agree with these recommendations. Use time out if 18mo or older. Read Teeth Are Not for Biting. Talk about how biting hurts. Child behavior experts will tell you that biting is no different than hitting or pushing for kids. You need to give consequences, but retaliation is not OK.
    Bookwormy

Answer by Bookwormy at 5:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I couldn't bite my son back either but I was able to bring myself to flick his mouth with my finger and it actually worked - of course I felt horrible when he looked at me, gave me a pouty chin and rested his head on my shoulder but he hasn't done it since and I did everything before that - the No NO honey- some people suggested putting lemon juice or something when they do it but it's not always handy and when I used to pull my son's head back when it hurt and tell him no he would laugh at me and think I was playing -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2008