Help with organizing and decluttering toys?

What would you say are the most important type of toys for 1 year olds?
What would you say are the most important type of toys for 4 year olds?

I feel like I have too many toys. Though, compared to some homes I don't really have many toys at all. But I know there are toys that my children to not play with at all. I have four different types of blocks. Trio Blocks, Mega Blocks, regular square wooden blocks with letters and pictures on them, and foam blocks of different shapes. We have tons of stuffed animals that never get played with. There are some educational/developmental type toys, tons of hotwheels, action figures, wooden puzzles and a few baby toys.

I'm just not sure what is important to keep and what can be gotten rid of without guilt? What would you advise?

CaptivatedByGod

Asked by CaptivatedByGod at 12:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• i declutter the tox boxes once a year...sometimes twice if it gets to much..first thing. if its broken or missing peices its out!...second..if the child no longer plays with it..get rid of it no reason to hang on to it. ..the small toys..keep those to a minimum. i mean lke the mini army men and match box cars. three..if it is past the developmental stage of your child its out. ..i find just doing that eliminates alot.
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 12:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• go thru the toys, keep the one's that are educational. keep the favorite stuffed animal and donate the rest. If your low on cash, go to an consignment shop. You get to keep a percentage of the money. either way, your helping others!
    tac50cat

Answer by tac50cat at 12:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Do you think it's possible that they would play with them later and are just disinterested now? Like the wooden puzzles are too young for my 4 year old and too old for my 1 year old. And some of the educational/developmental toys don't really seem to interest either one of them right now. Should I keep those and rotate them in?
    CaptivatedByGod

Comment by CaptivatedByGod (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Thanks, tac50cat. That's a good idea. I didn't really want to get rid of the educational toys because not only did I spend a lot of money on them, but I think they are good for the kids.
    CaptivatedByGod

Comment by CaptivatedByGod (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I organize my kids toys twice a year. I sort them into tubs we have a tub for: babies and accessories, learning toys like leap frog stuff, misc like balls and matchbox cars, stuffed animals in one, and dress up stuff, and smaller one for barbies and accessories.

As for stuffed animals, I only keep the cutest and most meaningful like their first one and their absolute favorite characters otherwise you have 10 bears that really dont do anything.

When I organize, I sort. This has to be done b/c the kids wont keep it that way for more than 3 days...lol. This helps me get rid of what we have too many of or stuff they dont play with anymore. If it is missing parts, in the trash. If it's broken, in the trash.

Another thought, is you could divide the toys in half and put half in shed or attic, etc and in a month trade them. A month later trade them back. This helps to find toys and makes it lke getting new toys.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 1:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2011