I really need to know!!!

ok so im waiting on my insurance to go through and it could take up to 2 more months! therefore i cant make my first doctors appt yet but i want to go for my first visit SOOO bad so i know everythings ok down there and in the right place and all that good stuff. since i havent been to the doctors yet its just constantly in the back of my mind like what if im having a tubal pregnancy or what if theres no heartbeat or what if this and that so i just want to go somewhere and get a vaginal ultrasound just so i know its in my uterus and growing and make sure theres only 1 in there! lol... does anyone know how i can go about this? is thre anywhere that i can go just to get an ultrasound? my friend suggested going to the er and saying i had some cramping and theyd most likely check me with an ultrasound i just want to be sure everythings ok in there... i live in cincinnati ohio... any suggestions anyone! please help! i am 5 weeks pregnant!

mbright3747

Asked by mbright3747 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Set up an appointment with your OB/GYN doctor explain that you'll be getting your medical insurance in a couple of months. They will charge a fair price for the visit.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 12:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• the doctor im seeing said they wont see me without my insurance card present! uugghhh!!! if i went for my first visit it would cost me a few hundred dollars :( i cant afford that! and i was going to go to a clinic at one of the hospitals by my house and when i called their next available appt is the middle of april! which by that time i may have my insurance card.
    mbright3747

Comment by mbright3747 (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would be careful. A friend of mine got pregnant before her insurance kicked in and went to the doctor to be checked out and decided she would pay out of pocket for the piece of mind. Her insurance company decided her pregnancy was a 'pre existing condition' and denied her coverage for that pregnancy.

My doctor didnt' even do an ultrasound until I was 20 week and then another at 36 weeks.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I think your friend is right, coming from a person thatdid not get my first child the care she needed. Also you should go buy some vitamins at the drug store, But the hospital will have to see you and your baby... It's important that you know he/she is ok.. and only one lol.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I understand your anxiety over this, I was in a very similar situation.  I think the ER idea is a good one.  Just remember you will get a huge bill!  ER's are notorious for this.  But for some piece of mind, it would be worth it.  And you can always make payments on that bill.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• 5weeks you prolly wouldnt see anything but yea the ER
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 1:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Her insurance company decided her pregnancy was a 'pre existing condition' and denied her coverage for that pregnancy.

She could've disputed the claim. Pregnancy is not a pre-existing condition.

MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 1:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• no it isnt... thats really sucks! i think im going to discuss making a trip to the er with my husband when he gets home from work, what should i tell them? that ive had some cramping and i cant go to the doctor i just want to make sure everythings ok
    ???
    mbright3747

Comment by mbright3747 (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• if nothing else, you can find a clinic that will confirm your pregnancy and do an ultrasound. i didn't get insurance until the new year and no doctor would take me that far along. i found a midwiving group and it's alot better than i thought it would be. (my first appt was at 28 weeks)
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 1:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• In 1996 the laws changed for those people with pre-existing conditions. Now many people would not be forced to have no coverage, they can opt for a plan that excludes the disability for a brief time. The HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) determined that there are certain conditions health insurance carriers may and may not cover. HIPAA defines a pre-existing condition as: "A condition (whether physical or mental), regardless of the cause of the condition, for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the 6 month period ending on the enrollment date." In effect, insurance carriers cannot exclude:

* Newborns
    * Pregnancy (even late entrants)
    * Adopted children or children placed for adoption under 18 years

cont
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 1:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011