My kids are 2 and 3 yrs old, they wake me up every one or two hours every night by yelling "mommy!...mommy!...mommmy!MOOOOOOOOOOMY!!!!!!!.... Waking up the whole house. So ignoring is out of the question. All they want is for me to cover their feet, or give them a kiss, or whatever they think of. I am getting no sleep and i have no idea what to do. HELP!

I also do the whole bedtime routine and cover all of these things including telling them not to yell for mommy in the middle of the night if they wake up. Myboys share a room with a fan running for white noise.

straightface

Asked by straightface at 12:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Next time they do it go in there and tell them no for whatever they ask for don't do it. If they want a kiss tell them you will give them two extras in the morning. If they want to be covered tell them to do it themselves. No matter what they come up with find a way for them to do it or for it to wait till morning it may take a few days but eventually they will se you aren't going to appease them and they'll quit. They have to learn how to self soothe.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 12:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• They won't stop until they stop getting what they want. My daughter learned very quickly that if she gets up at night and asks for something - she's not getting it. I will help her with the bathroom but I will not pull the covers up or find a toy, give another hug, etc. The answer is simply "No. It's the middle of the night. You need to sleep. I will [fill in blank] in the morning." And then leave. If they aren't being rewarded with their desires they stop demanding them.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• i've read that one strategy is to give them an incentive to stay quiet in bed, like, if they stay quiet all night, they get a special breakfast or to watch a favorite movie - if they do it for a whole week, they get a new toy, etc. The first few times you might need to remind them but i've heard this works. Good luck.
    HeyKarin

Answer by HeyKarin at 3:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I agree with the others. They have learned this is a great game of "let's play with mommy in the middle of the night". Every time you go in there, every time you give them what they ask for, you reinforce the lesson. Yes, they will pitch a fit and wake the whole house. But they will also learn that No means No and that pitching a fit doesn't get them what they want.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• They are doing it because it works! You are going to have to break this bad habit you've let them get into. Maybe start by telling them they get one extra mommy visit a night- create a coupon they can use for their mommy visit- once they use their mommy coupon- thats it no matter how much they holler- let them be. If they don't use their coupon they get a small reward in the morning- something simple a sticker, to pick whats for breakfast etc. Good luck
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 4:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My 22mo will sometimes wake in middle of the night & want something. I find it hard not to give in as well. BUT, I know that many of the answers here correct & that by doing what they want, we reinforce their middle of the night demands. Even if you can't literally ignore their screams, they don't have to know that! Good Luck, I need lots of this same luck too!
    Bookwormy

Answer by Bookwormy at 5:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2008