Pros and Cons of....

Hello Ladies!

I would like to know the pro's and con's of becoming a vegetarian? I want to start looking into it. I know my husband is going to think I am crazy but I am just not a "meat" kind of girl. I know I can get some good answers here :o)

Thanks in advance!

alyssamal

Asked by alyssamal at 1:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Health

• I can't think of any negatives. I have been veg for thirty years.

I initially stopped eating meat when I was a senior in high school. I was doing a report on work hunger, and learned how meat is an incredibly inefficient delivery system for nutrition. Now, I also know that meat production is bad for the planet and bad for our health.

The Standard American Diet (SAD) is overloaded with protein, fat, sodium, etc.; and is "underloaded" with whole grains, fruits and vegetables. By the time I eat my recommended 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables (in at least 3 different colors), 6 servings of whole grains and two servings of legumes, and one serving of chocolate, I could not possibly make room for meat.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:26 PM on Feb. 27, 2011