I feel like a terrible mom.

I just started working full time for the first time since my, just turned 2 year old, son has been born! I work Mon-Fri 8-4:30 and then sometimes 5:30-7:30 & weekends at my other job. I'm a single mom, so I work so much to make sure I can provide for my son.

His father sees him every 3rd day, for the entire day.. but I feel like when I have him, my time is being consumed by work.

While I'm not home, my son is being cared for by an amazing sitter, usually only for a few hours (7am-11am) until my boyfriend gets home. Then he has him until Mommy can get home.

I feel like I'm not doing enough for my son :/
What do you ladies think?

SuunshiineMama

Asked by SuunshiineMama at 1:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Make the time you have with him as best as you can. I often times hear adults say that their single parent worked so hard to provide for them & they appreciate that but they didnt get time to spend with them so if you make the time you hvae with him memorable & really count I honestly think you would be just fine.

Dont feel bad that you have to work so much to provide but remember it dosent hurt to take a day off & go do something fun with him. You will be fine in the end but I can see why you would feel bad. I cant relate at all to this b/c I am a SAHM & able to be b/c SO makes enough to allow me to be. You figure out a grove to this all, dont worry it will work out & dont feel bad you are doing all that you can do, your doing a good job =)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I think you are an awesome mom and doing what you have to do to provide for him. Be good to yourself and give yourself a pat on the back for being responsible. Do special things when you are with him. And I don't mean spending a lot of money to do things but going to the library, playing with him, cuddling, etc. It took my mom years to feel she had done the right thing by working. As adults we had to point out to her how much we would have missed if she had not had the income we needed. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My heart goes out to you. What a sacrifice you are making. Unfortunetely, it sounds like you have no other choice. I'm sure you spend every minute you can with your son. He WILL feel the love you have for him and when he gets older, he will appreciate everything you have to give. Best of luck to you!!!
    tac50cat

Answer by tac50cat at 1:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• your doing more than some moms are willing to do for their kids. just think you are showing him what it takes to be a parent. i know he is too young to know that, but when he gets older you can show him that
    Jssg1986

Answer by Jssg1986 at 1:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• p.s. your not a terrible mom, your an amazing mom. You care that your not around him alot.... alot of mothers work to get away from their kids.
    tac50cat

Answer by tac50cat at 1:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I think right now you are doing what you have to do... you are providing for him. Being a single parent is not easy and it is difficult to find a happy medium.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 1:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Quality is more important than quantity

Answer by rkoloms at 2:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I think you are a wonderful mother and setting an awesome example for your baby. You are doing everything you can to make sure he is well cared for and loved! You are doing a great job! Make the time you two spend together is quality, and give him lots of loving and cuddling and kisses. Way to go, Mom!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2011