Shaking head

My DD is 11 and a half months old. Lately every time I ask her something she shakes her head at me and says "Neh" or "No." I dont think she has ever nodded. Is this normal? And is she really trying to tell me no or is this just some phase?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is telling you no. Babies understand a heck of alot more then most people give them credit for. This is her first form of communication. Work with her to teach her yes to.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 12:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Shaking no is a lot easier and funner than shaking yes. Plus she probably gets told NO more than yes, I know my son does! My son went through that and now when I ask him stuff he says OK to everything. "Brandt do you want to go bye bye?" "OK" "Brandt to you want to eat this bug?" "OK" She's just figuring out how to communicate!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Its normal. My son thought it was hilarious to shake his head until he was dizzy, then fall down laughing. It will pass... Use your judgement, if you have that gut-feeling she's saying "no" then you are probably right, but sometimes she might just be playing around with her head...
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• From my experience , it is normal. All three of mine did this. It's annoying and soo darn cute at the same time!
    Taerna

Answer by Taerna at 1:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My son shook his no first and for a long time before he picked up nodding. He would even do it when he DID want something...lol. Its normal.
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 1:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Its unlikely that she really means "No". She just learned that it got a response and now loves to do it. My son did the same thing at that age, and I just made a game out of it. He would shake "no" and I would shake "yes" and he loved it. It didn't mean anything, but it was a way to bond. Don't take it too seriously. At 11 months, they just want to know that you are paying attention. They don't care what you (or they) are saying.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2008