How do you keep your kids safe from drugs and gangs.

Since I had my kids, twelve years ago, I lived in a small town... (very safe). Just recently I was forced to move to a big town, where my 6th grader now has to go to a different school then my younger kids. Yea that's fine, but I ask him how his new school is everyday. All he told me is good, but I know my kids. It didn't seem fine..... SO I snooped I read his textes to his cousin, and he told him that there are a lot of people in gangs and mos of the kids are not very nice to him. I love my son and don't want to put him through that kind of pain. He needs an education but what if the school they want him to go to is not safe. What are my options.

Kimberly71682

Asked by Kimberly71682 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• The best way to keep your kids safe from those kinds of things is to talk to them. Be 100% honest with them and ask them to do the same. Talk to them about the temptations, the desire to be 'cool', peer pressure, all of it. Open lines of communication and knowledge of the risks and dangers involved are essential.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• The only thing you can do is talk to your son openly and honestly. Let him know the dangers in what these kids do and what can happen to them and him if he decides to be a part of it. Tell him that you love him and you expect better from him than being in gangs and doing drugs and that by making the right choices, he'll go far in life and end up doing well for himself instead of ending up in jail. Then you can only hope that when the time comes he'll make the right decision. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Just talk to your son. Gangs are now every where. Kids are not safe in gangs. good luck.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• The only thing you can really do is either tranfer him to a different school with less problems OR be there for him. Make sure he knows that you are there if there is ever anything he needs to talk about or do. Maybe try and get him involved in an activity outside of school.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• transfer you kids to a school thats better. Talk to them about it. About whats out there and that there are not only nice people like they are used to for where they used to live.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 2:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My daughter attends an urban, public high school.
    You need to keep your kids busy, with challenging classes and activities (especially school sponsored activities).

Keep communication flowing between you and your child, and between you and the school.

Get involved with the school, and with community policing

Answer by rkoloms at 2:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I'm well involve, the thing is at my sons other school in was in honor math a science. He is a very smart young man, He's wanted to be a football player since he was old enough to say ball. He plays ball for the 49ers popwairner league. He's still in advanced classes, but he says that they consider him a nerd because he is a smart boy. I just hope he is smart enough to say no to gangs and drugs. I want him to go to collage and be better then that
    Kimberly71682

Comment by Kimberly71682 (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Education education education. Information!! Open communication.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I let my DD watch 1,000 ways to die, predater raw, and caught on tape.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 2:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2011