Was I wrong?

One of my best guy friends is in love with me. I just made it official with I guy I've been seeing for months and I know he is crushed. I was honest with him and he seems to hate me now. I know it hurt his feelings but I thought it would be better to be honest with him. Isn't that the right thing to do? I feel like I just lost an amazing friend but I don't want to lie to him or lead him on.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• You absolutely did the right thing by telling him and not leading him on. I had a good male friend too and he expressed his feelings for me one night when we were drinking and I didn't return the feelings so he got mad and never talked to me again til this day and this was over 15 years ago.
    Honesty is the best policy
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Honesty is always the best. In the end he will respect you for it.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 2:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• In time, he'll calm down.. you did what you needed to do.
    SuunshiineMama

Answer by SuunshiineMama at 2:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Yes, u did the right thing.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 2:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• e won't even speak to me now and I feel horrible... we did almost date but he lives 3 states away.. I feel horrible but I don't want to lie to him.. I hope he can handle this. I know how it feels to have someone lead you on and I don't ever want to do that to him
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Honesty is always the best route. Now he can deal with this breaking news, get over you & move on in his dating life/love life. As far as your friendship you will have to see how it all plays out. I have seen this kind of situation go either way with the friendship coming to an end & other times with the friendship still going on. I hope things work out for the best for all of you, but you did the right thing here, good luck with it all.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Aww, I'm sorry he's so upset but I'm sure he'll come around when he's ready to.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• As hurt as he is, I'm sure he'd really rather you be honest in the long run. If it's meant for you to be, then you will be.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 2:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Im sure it will all work out. You were honest, and in the end he will respect you for that. I'm sure he is going to feel silly after all this, but just let him know you were flattered by his honesty, but you are happy with the person you are currently with. I'm sure it will all work out!!
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• You certainly did the right thing. Right now it stings for him. He was your friend, you were his love. If you were truly friends, he will come around and be able to have the friendship again, if he was simply just mad about you, he will move on and get over this eventually.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 3:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2011