Low iron.

I tend to bruise easily, and it takes a bit longer for them to heal. Does anyone else have low iron, and have you found ways to treat/combat it?

countrygirl1987

Asked by countrygirl1987 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Health

• I've always had an issue taking the iron supplements. The best advice I can give is to increase the foods that are high in iron, such as liver. Here is a list I found which might help you:  Foods high in iron

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If you take a daily multi vitamin, it should help you...or there are just iron tablets, which should help you as well if you arent getting enough from your daily diet.
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• i have very low iron. My last checked level was 9. I now take a multivitamin, and a non-constipating iron complex made by Now foods. www.nowfoods.com Also vitamin C helps your body to absorb iron. I hope to bring my iron level up by next doc visit. I have also started eating cream of wheat as well as other iron rich foods. I am also eating chia seeds. i need to start taking care of myself before I get any worse. :) good luck.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Stop eating dairy; dairy can leach iron and other nutrients from your body.

There is a great listing of iron rich foods here:  http://www.soystache.com/iron  Be sure to eat a vitamin C source with your iron source; C increases the absorption of the iron

Answer by rkoloms at 5:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Cook using cast iron cookware/bakeware - it adds iron to everything. Eat iron-rich foods.
    Anonymous

• I take an iron supplement.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2011