Nephew smoking pot?!?!

I just found out that my nephew is smoking pot. I am not sure what to do. He told me bcuz he confides in me. Should I tell his mom and dad? Or should I keep quite and try to talk him out of smoking??? If I tell mom and dad he will never be able to tell me anything ever again thats why I am so confused. He is only 13 but now he is in a middle school where there are drugs and UGH I just dont know what to do please help!

MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Asked by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 2:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Your his aunt not his friend so you HAVE to tell his parents asap.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would absolutely tell his parents. 13 is really young to be into that anyways! I'd see if you guys can think of a plan to where his parents act like they found out from another source? That way he won't know that you were the one that told. But yes his parents need to know right away. I'd be furious if I found out a family member was withholding that information from me about my child.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would differently tell his parents. They need to know so they can handle it. He is too young. And drugs are VERY BAD for him or anybody.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• You have to tell his parents, but tell him that you are going to before you do. He confided in you & you need to explain to him that this is a serious thing and you can't keep it to yourself.

It is great that he trusts you and talks to you, but you are his aunt, not his friend. I think all you have to do is put yourself in his parents' positions - what would you want from them if the situation were reversed?
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• He confided in you because he trusted you. I do think it's important for his parents to know so I would explain to him what a difficult situation he's put you in and then tell him he needs to tell his parents on his own or you will have to.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 7:38 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would unload it to his parents, he is way too young for that.

Answer by older at 2:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• yes,tell his parents! 13 is way too young for him to be making decisions about drug use

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• ya i know its way to young! But if he's at school or at a friends house his parents or I have no control over it, so idk what to do. Thanks for your advice tho I am most likely gonna tell them tho cuz I think about it and I would want them to tell me if my children were doing drugs!
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Comment by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• You should tell his parents, how would you feel if they kept something like this from you about you're kids? The only way they can stop him is if they know, if kids are doing drugs at school than the school need to know as well, if it's just at some friend of his's house then his parents can stop him form going over there
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• thanks ash thats a really good idea! any ideas on who the other source would be i wanna have a game plan before i do this lol
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Comment by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2011