Bible name.. Malachi? & which spelling?

I'd spell it Malakai so we can call him Kai (ky) for short if we ever want to.

is that totally out there? I really wanted a biblical name--but im not even familiar w/ Malachi

I've seen all these ways to spell it.. and am actually not sure which way to choose! which one do you like thats the easiest to recognize as Mal-a-Kye

Malachi, Malakye, Malakai, Malakia, Malachy, Malachie, Malaki, Malakie, Maleki, Malequi

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Baby Names

• I really like the name and suggested it to my husband who wound up not liking it. It is the last book of the Old Testament. I would stick with the traditional spelling. You could still call him "Kai" there is no rule that says a nick name has to be spelled directly from the original.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• All I can EVER think of when I hear that name is "Children Of The Corn". sorry =)
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 3:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I like Malachi and I would personally stick with the original spelling. I think it is the most recognizable form of the name. You could still call him Kai with it being spelled out in his name, the sound of Kai is still there.

Malachy looks more like it would fall in with the Irish pronunciation of the name (Mal-ah-kee rather than Mal-a-kai), so I would definitely steer clear of that spelling.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 6:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Go with Malachi and you can still call him Kai
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• OMG love that name my friend named her first baby that way to cute!!!!!!!!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I like that name I would have never thought of it. I have a son who has a biblical name his name is Jason Matthew.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 2:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Sounds nice. Malachi is a book in the bible (I'm not sure if it's one of the ones found only in the Catholic bible or not, bc I'm catholic, and it's in my bible). It means "my messenger".
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 2:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• i dont know anything about children of the corn! lol :) so it wont be an issue for me!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

*********

Same here...
    too bad too, because it's a cool name
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• wat year did that movie come out? i think possibly when hes grown no one will know about it to the extent you guys are saying.. i dont even kno wat it is!! lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2011