Do you think you are more protective of girl babies than boy babies?

I only have a little boy so far, but I was reading a book about how men and women are differently partly because as children boys are supposed to be tough while girls are protected and comforted more. I don't think it was true in my family of origin, but I dunno....

With my son, I pretty much let him test his environment to the point that it is safe. If that means crawling on the furniture and he might fall but it's not very far, I let him. (DH kind of freaks out). I was in the park when a friend who has a little girl the same age as my son (they were about 16 months). And the little girl was toddling around on the asphalt and the mom was hovering over her going, "slow down! slow down!" My son tripped and skinned his poor little lip.

I had to ask myself, if he was a girl, would I be more likely to hover over him like that? Would I cringe more if my little girl got hurt than my little boy? I've always seen minor bumps and bruises as a sort of rite of passage (don't get me wrong, if I'd been able, i would have stopped my sons fall!), but I started wondering if I would feel differently about a girl. I don't want to have a double standard!

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 2:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I only have a son right now but I'm sure when I have a girl, I will be more protective (in some aspects) over her than my son. I don't think so much that the protection is different when they are infants/toddlers, I think you notice the difference more when they are in school or teenagers. Unfortunately, it is a fact that girls are taken advantage of more than boys. There are more cases of girls being abducted, raped, molested, kidnapped, etc. than there are cases of boys. So commonly parents will tend to keep a closer eye on their daughter than maybe on their son. My dad has 4 girls and 1 boy. My brother didn't have a whole lot of rules growing up, but my sisters and I were raised very strict. I think it was because they feared what could happen to us.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I only have boys as well so I am curious to see what people say, here is a ump!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 2:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• No I think it has more to do with the parent. I am the same way that you are with your little guy with my three and soon to be four girls. They fall hit their head hurt themselves and instantly they jump up and say "I am ok" because that is what we tell them. Just stand them up brush them off and off they go.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I had girls and boy. I didn't treat them differently.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Oh, yes, Ash, very good point! I totally agree with you. I guess I'm thinking more in terms of the wear and tear of everyday life....

I grew up with three boys, and remember "owies" being kind of like badges of honor! LOL!
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My only girl was my first born so I don't think I can accurately say. I was more protective of her because she was my first because, well I didn't know what the crap I was doing....lol
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 3:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• i treat my daughter and my son's the same when my daughter was little and would fall i would smile and say brush it off if it was bad hold her for a minute and send her back to play when she was happy i am the same way with my 10 month old twin boys
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 6:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2011