IF lieing is defined as telling someone something that isn't true...

How is it that telling kids about Santa is Not lieing to them? Or if you think it is lieing and yet you still do it, what makes it different from the "white lies" your kids tell you and get in trouble for??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know. I never told my kids Santa was real. I told them it was a made up story for fun. When you start accepting little white lies as being okay....you are only paving the way for real lies to be acceptable. Playing fun pretend games (Santa, Easter Bunny, etc) is okay, as long as you're portraying it as a fun pretend game. There's a difference between pretending and lying.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Yes, it is a lie. But it is not a lie designed to harm someone or to be maliciously devious. It is a lie told in the name of fun and tradition. I think it is too black and white to say that all lies are bad. Some lies are good. (Case in point - would you tell someone you loved that they looked awful as they laid on their death bed? No, of course not. You would tell them they looked beautiful. At least, I would.) I'm glad I believed in Santa as a kid. It was magical and fun. And when I realized the truth when I was about 5, I wasn't upset or angry that I had been lied to. I guess it was just a rite of passage.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• my kids haven't gotten in trouble for white lies but for when they do something wrong. like when my son told me this big elaborate story and at the end i said really cause bro wait saw you at dominoes. he got in trouble for not coming straight home like is suppose to but caught in his own lies. his lie got him in trouble with himself. he wasn't punished for lying cause well he knew he lied and it didn't work for him. a lesson learned on his part. as my children were young i never stated if santa was real or not real. santa is real in st nicolas he just doesn't exist anymore and when they get big enough they'll do the same with their kids. neither is harry potter but make believe is cool.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Hey, if my kids lie to me and tell me there is no food left in the fridge but surprise me by cooking and setting up the table for me - they're not getting in trouble. I'm all for that.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 1:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• we do not celebrate the holidays in my house. But I have once heard it put this way. If you are telling your kids about santa, and such things that are unreal. Then how are they suposed to know that God is real, since he is one that we can not see.
    Anonymous

• telling someone a lie to hide a dirty secret or hurt someone..is a different level than telling a lie to suprise someone or hide osmething good likea suprise bday party or santa.

to say they are both the same, thats generalization and like saying "if you masturbate yoru cheating cause your having sex with yourself not your husband" nothing is ever exactly set in stone straight as aboard...
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• "If you are telling your kids about santa, and such things that are unreal. Then how are they suposed to know that God is real, since he is one that we can not see."

im very happy i was never raised in a house that sterile
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• i tell my kids santa is like a cartoon or for make belive. yes they stil believe he is real. but what kid doesnt think barbie is real or what ever caracter they like. the important thing is to make sure they know the true meaning of christmas. my daughter gets excited. she calls it Jesus's birthday.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 1:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I have never told my children that Santa is real. They have heard stories about Santa, and they see him in the mall, and on tv, and he will even be making an appearance at our Christmas party this year.

Last year my ss told my son that Santa was not real. My son was very hurt, and came crying to me. I told him that Santa is real for all those who wish to believe in him, so if you want to believe that Santa is real, than he will be real for you, and that's all that matters. He has decided that despite what his big brother says, Santa is real. It was his choice to believe, not mine.

Just like God is real for all those who wish to believe. And my son wants to believe, that will be his choice.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• a lie is a lie and satan is the father of the lie..john 8:44...so yea i keep my house clean thanks
    Anonymous