What has happened to human decency?

Last Wednesday my fiancee and I were driving down Broadway. One of the busiest streets in town. WE were on our way to our local Walmart. We passed a blue Ford Ranger that had its nose sticking out into the busy Broadway. The driver was slumped over his steering wheel. There was an obvious problem. When my fiancee got back to try and help this man. On e guy from the Quicklube across the street and another concerned motorist had stopped and called 911. The lady that drove the other vehicle said that no one else had even stopped. She went on to explain that there were a couple vehicles behind him who opted to drive around this man and go on their way. We found out that the man had his truck in drive and his foot on the brake. It is only by an act of God that his foot stayed on the brake. Th man in the truck was diabetic and his blood sugar was so low that he kept passing out. So what is wrong with people anymore to just drive pass this man slumped over his steering wheel? when anyone could see something was wrong.

arca3016

Asked by arca3016 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, unfortunately, you have to fear being sued for helping now a days. All you can really do is call 911 because if they have a DNR and you resuscitate them you can be taken to court. It is a sad world when you have to be afraid to help people. :(
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 3:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Its insane how many people in this world don't give a damn about anyone else but themselves. I watched "I survived" the other night and a pregnant woman was hit by a car and the driver drove off. She was laying in the street and not a SINGLE car stopped to help her. Eventually when she came to, she got up and stumbled home.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Anymore, it's a total lose lose situation though, unfortunately. We recently has someone actually laying in the middle of the road, like he had been run over... when motorists stopped to help, he robbed them at gun point. Ugh.... As a former EMT/Paramedic, the only thing I can recommend is that you immediately dial 911 to get the proper help for the person. What your fiancee did is commendable though... but it's definitely a "your call" situation these days.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Well, anytime you stop to help a stranger, there is a very real danger of getting raped, murdered, or robbed. There's even a scam right now where gang member will leave a child, stranded and crying on the side of the road, with an address.

If you are stupid enough to help that child, they gang rape you, and possibly murder you. Personally, I would stop, keep a safe distance, and call 911, and wait for instructions. But I would stop.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I've been asking myself this question a lot lately. People are only concerned with themselves and society has taught many that selfishness is okay. It's very sad that so many people can just brush something like this off and go on their way. I hope he was okay and they got his blood sugar up.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• nobody gives a shit about anyone else. everyone is just concerned about themselves. people have abandoned their churches and their god and opted to live immoral lives. people arent accountable for their actions or lack there of. the situation you described would never have happened 20 years ago when people cared about one another. it was nice when people had a sense of obligation, a sense of pride. love thy neighbor? not anymore. im not a religious fanatic or anything i just see a strong correlation.
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• one thing that crosses my mind, as tragic as it is, is that there are scams that take advantage of people's kindness to make them vulnerable to carjacking, fraud, etc.. There was a warning going around a while back about not answering your door late at night to a woman who appears to be hurt.

also, is it possible that some who drove around him chose to try to help without endangering themselves? considering what I've discussed above, that's what I'd do in this scenario. I don't have recent first aid or CPR training, and as a small female usually alone in my car with two young kids, I wouldn't risk direct help but I would use my cell to call for help for him.

I did, once, take a huge risk to help a woman in a hotel who was running down the corridor crying. I pulled her into our room. It turned out her boyfriend had turned on her and try to strangle her. My kid was in that room and in retrospect I took a huge risk CONT>
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• So many people get sued for helping. They didn't do enough; they did to much; they should have minded their own business. People just decide to walk away. I don't think I could walk away (or drive).
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• CONT
    letting her in, but all I could think was "what if whoever's chasing her catches her in the hall outside our room?" I didn't want to be holed up in our room listening to a woman be beaten, knowing I could have prevented it.
    we called the cops and the found the guy and took him away. I urged her to go home the next day and move out, even if she had to go to a shelter, but I have no idea what she wound up doing. the entire thing was scary as hell. she could have been armed, could have let others into our room, etc. As it turned out she was just a scared kid (early 20's) and very grateful and apologetic, esp. when she saw my son in our room (he was about four at the time). She felt so bad to be involving us, I was just glad to help her, and that the risk I took didn't turn bad for us.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Isolationists, self centered, fear...and if we are to believe that SO many are now carrying concealed, wouldn't this fear decrease? Perhaps, many people called 911 and reported what they saw, and then went on their merry ways?

A couple of years ago my elderly parents were returning home from their cabin in the Mtns, when they were hit (and run) by a speeding driver, causing a roll over accident which them down an embakment and totaled their car. NO ONE stopped. Luckily, they had a cell and were able to extract themselves. People appear to have little concern for their fellow man-can't be bothered, it seems.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2011