What would you do?

I have a sister that I believe has a problem with alcohol. She doesn't admit to it and doesn't see anything wrong with drinking. Ever since she turned 21 she thinks that she has to buy alcohol every time she goes out. She thinks it's a right, not a privilege. My parents know about it but she doesn't know they know. She thinks if she has any money that sh has to spend it on alcohol. Every time she gets it, she hides it in her room somewhere. Recently she opened a bottle of my parent's wine. It was an expensive one. She has polished off more than half the bottle behind their backs (in less than a week). She doesn't know when enough is enough and I don't know if I should say something. Being her sister, I am worried about her. What would you do? Should I say something or just let her be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• I think its good you talk to her. Being able to buy alcohol and enjoying it sometimes is good, but hiding it and than consuming so much of it in a short period of time is a sign of a problem

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If you do this without help you know it will come out bad start talking to her friends and your family members you are not the only one noticing this.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• my ex's aunt (who I remained close to after the divorce) is in full liver failure and needs blood transfusions to keep her alive right now all because of alcohol. I have nothing against drinking itself, I drink, but when I see someone hiding it, drinking too much, exhibiting other signs of an addiction I get worried. I'm not sure what to do at this point, with my ex's aunt it was easier to get her into the hospital because she's so far gone, but you certainly don't want to wait until your sister gets any worse. Try talking to her friends, or other family members that she spends time with. You could look into any community services that deal with substance and alcohol abuse, sometimes they have counselors that will help families stage an intervention.
    Anonymous

• She is your sis~ say something if you see something wrong~ do all you can to help her notice it~ before it gets out hand~ she can be saving that money for rainy days instead of wasting it on booz
    sanab

Answer by sanab at 8:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Well she has to want the help and if she is in denial there is nothing you can do for her. My brother was an alcoholic and swore he could stop when he wanted to he drank for breakfast lunch and dinner he would pass out and then his kidneys started failing we tried talking to him but after awhile he didn't want to hear it.
    Finally he died from the drink at age 45 it was so sad. Your sister has to admit she has a problem before it can be duilt with and no matter what you or your parents say she won't stop until she is ready so unfortunly you will have to play the waiting game it's hard but a fact of life...sorry and good luck
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 8:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Thanks, everyone, for the adivce. I'm not the only one that sees it. Some of her friends (who don't drink along with her) and our family sees it. I don't know how to approach her about it. I'm worried for her health. She already suffers from depression and drinking likeshe does doesn't help. I don't want it to ruin our relationship. I think I'll have a rational talk with her by myself. I know everyone else sees it but I don't want her to feel cornered if I get my parents involved. I don't want to be accusing or judgemental about it either. It's been going on for years. My parents try talking to her about it (more like bitch and complain) and I always here her saying she just wishes they would stay out of her business. Which is why I have never said anything. But it is getting out of hand and she is my son's Godmother. I don't want that kind of role model for my son (even though she doesn't drink around him).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2011