Too young for time outs?

My son is 9 months old and acts like a 2 year old already! Yesterday he started throwing actual temper tantrums. He then started to throw toys at me. He's only 9 months old?! Is this normal to start this kind of behavior so early and what do I do about it? Too young for time outs?

BabyBreyen

Asked by BabyBreyen at 1:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hes just a baby he doesnt get it. yes its normal and hes way to young for time outs you would be waiting your time he wont get the concept. you cant really do much just tell him we dont throw toys but really thats all you can do.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Yeah, all you can do is talk to him about throwing toys and hold his hands firmly. He doesn't understand time outs yet.
    HUmama

Answer by HUmama at 1:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I wouldn't start time outs till between 18 months to 2 years. It's pretty funny when they're having tantrums when they're barely 1! My now 18 month old just started getting time outs. We just ignore his tantrums...as long as he's safe and not inflicting pain on himself we just look the other way, and it generally shuts him up. It's all about re-direction and telling him no...it sucks having to be so repetitive but it's the only way they understand.
    meitaimom679

Answer by meitaimom679 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I think a firm "NO" and take his toys away might work. And then redirect him to a new activity.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My guy started tantrums at that age, too, and all I could do was ignore them. Its the only thing that worked for us. He still does it (he's thirteen months now) but they aren't as severe, and he understands "no" now so it makes things easier. Just try to ignore them, and whatever you do, DON'T reward the tantrum! They are old enough to understand what works to get them what they want, and if they learn now that tantruming works, you'll be in for it for the rest of your life!
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2008