A beer a day to increase breastmilk?

have any of you actualy done this, does it work, details if you tried it! thank you!

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 3:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes it works they teach that in lactation consultant class and I can say it does work from experience 8 ounces once a day
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 3:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• i drank mothers milk tea with added hops.
    the main thing to know is that your body is more than likely producing or will produce enough milk. you just can't measure it. if there is one thing dr's know nothing about it is growth! they measure this and they measure that, and they scare the moms and make them feel like their milk is not enough.
    count your baby's wet diapers. put your newborn to your breast every time they are awake!
    i had one baby in the hospital, and according to what i pumped i was producing 1/16 the amount they said that i should have been. as soon as my baby came home he was off all formula and was ebf. he grew fine.
    if you think your baby is failing to thrive, taht is another issue...but you must know that not growing at the "average" rate, does not mean failure to thrive.
    good luck!
    i don't think there is anything wrong with one beer a day : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If you drink it right after a feeding it doesn't effect the baby. I have heard this before but never tired it. I used fenugreek and oatmeal. That seemed to work for me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would imagine like any other drug, it would affect your baby.
    Anonymous

• have not tryed it but have heard about it the lady next door told me to drink one beer and my milk would come in she said she did it and sure enuff it worked for her but its just one and i would say pump and dump for 24 hours and then give your baby your milk
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 3:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• A beer, or two, will not hurt baby. It's the brewers yeast which can help supply. It's also available in tablets. But, be certain you actually need to increase supply. Many moms think they have a low supply, and they don't.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I took brewers yeast tablets; they really helped

Answer by rkoloms at 5:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• One beer is not going to hurt your baby. But if you're worried drink it after a feeding. As for if it works, I have no idea, seems like some others think so!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 3:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I was told alcohol in general dehydrated you and therefore can decrease your supply...
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 8:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• there's nothing wrong with drinking some beer. you can even drink a beer or two every day-the problem is when you 'need' it.

heck, i had a glass of red wine every now and then when i was pregnant-at my midwife's suggestion! she said it would help me relax during my braxton hicks contractions.

i didn't drink beer when i was attempting to nurse by my dad said my mom did-and i'm totally fine.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 8:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2011