Child entering pre-k, advice, how do I stay involved?

My daughter will be turning 4 in June, and will be entering a state run preschool this fall. We are all very excited (including her!), but at the same time, it's obviously a huge change.

She is not in daycare now and never has been. She's been to drop-in care twice last month when we moved and did great, and sometimes she spends the night at grandmas with no problems. Otherwise she is with us. She does have a small group of friends that we visit with often, so she IS socialized.

Anyway, how do I stay involved in her school life? It is very important to me to know what's going on with her at school, what she's learning, how she's doing, etc.

If i could I'd put a camera in her classroom and just watch her all day and ooo and ahhhh over how awesome she is. Lol. Not really but you know what I mean!

So, any advice for me? How do I stay involved without being TOO involved?

Arkaidy

Asked by Arkaidy at 3:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD is in pre school, and the teachers send home activities and newsletters often, so I always know what is going on in the room. Parents have been welcome on field trips and to class parties as well. I even sign up to be a parent reader once in a while.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• When my kids started preschool I volunteered at school functions, I offered to help in the class room maybe once a month, sometimes reading a story to the kids or doing a craft with them. I also joined the PTO so I knew what was going on with the school.

At dinner time we would all sit together and talk about our days. It was a great way to learn what the kids were doing in school and it got them to talk with us. We still do this today and my kids are 14, 12, and 9.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• You could volunteer in the classroom.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Talk to the teacher when you drop her off (get there a few minutes early) and then again when you pick her up. Ask her about her day. Go to class parties and on class field trips. Volunteer (although some school don't allow parent volunteers). You'll get more comfortable with the whole thing once she starts going.
    Braydens_Mama06

Answer by Braydens_Mama06 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• The pre school my 3 year old goes to sends home notes every day she goes. she only goes on mondays from 9-12 and fridays from 9-12. Her favorite thing is riding the bus.
    They had parent groups at the school where parents can go in any time and volunteer.
    You can also call the teacher any time and get report on how she is doing.
    amanda_23

Answer by amanda_23 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• You can talk to her teacher. My son went to head start. I would volunteer once a week.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2011