LAST MINUTE DINNER GUESTS PLEASE HELP!!!

Ok so dh and i were planning on watching the Oscars together tonight and i was really excited. Dh called on his break and one of his friends won free tickets to the NBA game tonight and so he asked if he could go. I of course said yes (we are HUGE fans) but i think he could tell i was a little disappointed because about 20 mins ago he called again and said I know you really wanted to watch the Oscars with somebody so I called Troy (a friend of his who i get along with really well) and Jacob (my best friend) and they are free and would really like to come watch the Oscars with you. SO i know that DH was trying to be nice so i am not mad at him but, whenever we have people over we always have food so i know they will be expecting it and i feel bad calling and telling them to eat before they come over ( just kind of who i am lol) SO anyway here is the BIG problem. Dh has the car not me so i can't go to the store...as far as meat goes I have a big bag of Chicken drumsticks. I don't have a lot of spices and no butter...Is there something I can do that is VERY simple that i wouldn't need a lot of ingredients for? oh and i can't order out for anything because we live way far out in the boonies and there isn't even a pizza place that delivers to our house!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• if hubby is stopping by the housebefore he takes off call him with a list to pick up before he gets home to change. or call the guys comming over to see if they wouldnt mind picking up one or two things and you guys can all cook can have dinner before the oscars.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Yep, call the guys and ask one to bring chips and salsa and the other one to bring something else. Fry up the drumsticks and have a great time chowing down.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• dh isn't coming home...do you think its rude to ask the guys to pick something up since i don't have any cash on me...so i couldn't pay them for doing it? I never have cash on me lol!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Fry up the drumsticks

how?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• No it would not be rude to ask the guys to pick something up... tell them you decided to have a pot luck type of thing. You can line the drum sticks up on a baking pan, brush them with oil, or add anything from ranch dressing to some ketchup and brown sugar... coat them and bake.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• What do you have in your kitchen right now?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I don't think it is rude to ask them to bring something. Tell them the truth, that dh asked them over and you were not planning on guests, so since he has the car, you can't go to the store.

To fry the drumsticks...

Salt and pepper them, make a mixture of 1cup flour, 1/4 cup corn starch, salt and pepper. Dip the chicken in the flour mixture then an egg wash (two eggs beaten with 2 tbs water) then back into the flour mixture. Place in a frying pan with half inch of hot oil. cook for 3-4 minutes, turn with tongs and cook an additional 3-4 minutes. Take one out and test to see if it is done. If done, take them out and out them on several layers of paper towels. Make sure to not put them all in at the same time or it will crowd the pan and they won't cook. Also make sure the oil is hot. let it heat and test it with a bit of the egg and flour. Drop a small piece in and see if it starts to fry or just sits in the oil. YUMMY!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Salt and pepper them, make a mixture of 1cup flour, 1/4 cup corn starch

Thanks so much for the advice...I don't have corn starch though...can i do without corn starch?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• It is better with the corn starch, but you can leave the cornstarch out in a pinch.

:)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2011