Significant personal-social developmental delay?

My DD is 3 years old and she got an evaluation by the Child Find program. We went there because she was having odd behaviors:
- She doesn't talk so much in public, she often grunts instead (but she talks at home). - She gets frustrated very easily, for example if she can't do a things she starts cries and screaming "I can't, I can't". - She says things without sense and starts to laugh. - She wants her things in a certain way, for example her blankie, sometimes she wants I fold it otherwise "it's not soft", if the blankie gets unfolded she starts to cries. - She's always unhappy or frustrate, she cries often during the day. - She doesn't interact so well with other children, she loves them but she act strange, in a "silly" way. - In the evening after dinner she starts to run back and forward and make noises with her mouth like HMMMM. - She become clingy when we go to visit her grandma (and we see her often). And she has many other "strange" behavior.
The evaluation was a disaster she wouldn't give attention at all, there was also an Italian translator (in our home we speak Italian too) who confused her more, the people who evalueted her noticed that she would laugh without reason and she wouldn't give any attention if she wasn't interested. For all the time there she wouldn't stop, she tried to go out and she kept asking for a lollipop for ALL the time. They also noticed that she's always unhappy.
She qualified for IEP, with a mild development delay in the cognitive domain and a significant developmental delay in the personal-social, she scored 67, with an adult and peer interaction 16 months age equivalent :-(
Sorry if this was so long, I wish I could know if somebody it's in the same situation, and what could cause her problem. The school will call us in 30 days, I'm really sad, I'm pregnant and I have a 15 months old too, I just want to help her. In my family there are case of schizophrenia, bipolar and depression too.

shining8250

Asked by shining8250 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Okay . . . hugs . . .
    Please keep in mind that she is only 3. Many of us can contest that our three year-olds sometimes have behaviors that will strike us as odd . . . it is a funny age. Half baby/half kid. Most kids, actually, wind up growing out of those behaviors when they get a little older.
    IEP's, although scary and worrisome, are really good things. She will get services, will will only be of benefit to her. If she does have something going on, it has been shown that early intervention can almost completely erase all socially discernable traces in many kids by the time they are part way through elementary. If it is just something she will grow out of, this will help her get there faster.
    Today's diagnosis is NOT forever.
    You are doing exactly the right thing, mom!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Get her into the Early Intervention program. Get her all the therapy you can. With early intervention, she can learn the skills she is lacking.
    She might just be developmentall delayed, she might have more issues. Either way, the IEP is a good thing. Keep in mind, if she does have a diagnosis--it is NOT the end of the world.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• layh41407: Child Find is the Early Intervention program but for older kids. I write that in case somebody need it.
    shining8250

Comment by shining8250 (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Thanks, in my area it's just called Early Intervention for the kids that are 3 until school age. My son was originally diagnosed as Developmentally delayed, but after a few months in EI he was then evaluated for autsim and was found to be on the spectrum.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• layh41407: thank you! Did your son have some of my DD's behaviors? I don't know what to think, I'm really positive that she will get better with the time but I would really like to know what's going on.
    shining8250

Comment by shining8250 (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My son was able to speak, but the words never had any meaning. He enjoyed being around other kids, but did not play with them, he just mimicked them. He had several repetitive behaviors. He was three at the time he was tested. He was (and still is) easily frustrated. Sometimes certain materials bothered him, some times they were ok.

My son is now 11 (actually, he will be 12 in a little over 2 months) and we still have our issues, ,but he has come a long way.

There are so many things that could be going on. I remember how I felt during that waiting time. I hoped for the best, but prepared for the worst. Just remember, there really are a million things that could be going on. Good luck!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I'm sorry for what your family is going through. I've never been there, so I won't pretend to understand. Just keep your head up. You're doing wonderful things by getting her the help she needs. You're a good Mom!
    mpm915

Answer by mpm915 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2011