Significant personal-social developmental delay?

My DD is 3 years old and she got an evaluation by the Child Find program. We went there because she was having odd behaviors:
- She doesn't talk so much in public, she often grunts instead (but she talks at home). - She gets frustrated very easily, for example if she can't do a things she starts cries and screaming "I can't, I can't". - She says things without sense and starts to laugh. - She wants her things in a certain way, for example her blankie, sometimes she wants I fold it otherwise "it's not soft", if the blankie gets unfolded she starts to cries. - She's always unhappy or frustrate, she cries often during the day. - She doesn't interact so well with other children, she loves them but she act strange, in a "silly" way. - In the evening after dinner she starts to run back and forward and make noises with her mouth like HMMMM. - She become clingy when we go to visit her grandma (and we see her often). And she has many other "strange" behavior.
The evaluation was a disaster she wouldn't give attention at all, there was also an Italian translator (in our home we speak Italian too) who confused her more, the people who evalueted her noticed that she would laugh without reason and she wouldn't give any attention if she wasn't interested. For all the time there she wouldn't stop, she tried to go out and she kept asking for a lollipop for ALL the time. They also noticed that she's always unhappy.
She qualified for IEP, with a mild development delay in the cognitive domain and a significant developmental delay in the personal-social, she scored 67, with an adult and peer interaction 16 months age equivalent :-(
Sorry if this was so long, I wish I could know if somebody it's in the same situation, and what could cause her problem. The school will call us in 30 days, I'm really sad, I'm pregnant and I have a 15 months old too, I just want to help her. In my family there are case of schizophrenia, bipolar and depression too.

shining8250

Asked by shining8250 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• All I can say is, follow through with what they suggest, it can't hurt her. Maybe with the help they'll give her, they'll find a different diagnosis. She's 3, she needs to be comfortable with people before she lets them see who she really is. Sorry, I've never been there, but this is the only thing I can suggest.
    luvmebrats9

Answer by luvmebrats9 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My son also had some social delays (among other delays). He has an IEP and started the preschool program last April. That's the best place for your daughter. They are very focused on facilitating social interactions and will get a better sense of your daughter as they get to know her. Our son has made wonderful progress. I would also discuss this with your pediatrician (if you haven't already). I dont' want to add to your worries but make sure they're keeping an eye on the possibility your child is on the autism spectrum. If you ask, they should be able to tell you why they've either ruled it out or are watching for it. If they suspect it could be the issue (and they may not want to say anything without knowing the child better), you'd want to have her evaluated by a doctor. Even if that is the case, the preschool program provides much of what she might need.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I'm so sorry - that sounds almost the same as my son but instead of laughing, he gets frustrated.. I had him tested through the ECI and he came over with severe anxiety ( he is 3 also ) with lack of social skills they are contributing to his anxiety - he didn't qualify for the therapies but that was just out of the scoring - he also has always been one to be "not so happy" he is easily frustrated and if he can't do things instantly he gets mad and frustrated and he also has many weird "quirks' . We have a history of mental illness as well so I am there with you on the feeling of insecurity - just do what they are suggesting and hopefully she will only be steered in the right direction
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You are helping her! You've recognized that there is a problem and you're taking action. It takes time to figure out exactly what the problem is and even more time to start correcting/supporting it.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• She sounds like my daughter. Her grunting in public maybe because she is comfortable speaking English, in public (or speaking Italian when everyone else is speaking English.) My daughter is learning Spanish in school and mumbles it when she is at home because she is not comfortable speaking it away from school. Hopefully, they can give you the tools to help her.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2011