I am pregnant and have had severe allergies ever since moving in with my Aunt and her cats.

Could this effect the baby? I rarely take benedryl and nothing else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Umm, you can be around cats... just don't eat the feces! jeez! I own three cats plus I worked with cats at work in the vet clinic all through pregnancy. My hubby did the boxes while I was pg. Plus, studdies have shown that you are more likely to get/ or already had toxoplasmosis from under cooked veggies and meat. Once you have it you become immune to it. Just stay away from that cat boxes and you'll be safe! As for the allergies, sorry, but I would ask your ob!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 6:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I heard cats are posionous while pregnant and for babies. They carry some deadly thing. I am sorry I can not remember the name of it. Ask your doc.
    WARNING

Answer by WARNING at 4:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I don't think the allergies themselves could hurt the baby. But you need to check with your doctor about what you can take for them.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• no ive never heard of allergies effecting the baby. but its not good to be pregnant and live around cats. the allergies is bad which means u gotta take me meds which even if its safe u never wanna take alot of it. 2nd the kitty litter is so bad for pregnant women. talk to ur dr
    MeehlingMommi23

Answer by MeehlingMommi23 at 4:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• U can get Toxoplasmosis from cat feces, which is a parasite that can cause severe birth defects including cerebral palsy, it is very important to stay away from the cat's litter and feces.
    momof4boys1980

Answer by momof4boys1980 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• can't be around the cats...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I wasn't trying to tell anyone they couldn't be around cats, just to be careful around the feces and litter...I myself have cats and have had no problems, just have someone else clean the litter.
    momof4boys1980

Answer by momof4boys1980 at 2:14 AM on Feb. 28, 2011