How much T.V. should you let your toddler watch?

My baby is 16 months. He loves T.V. I try to get him to play with toys instead but when spongebob comes on he stops and watches, Or if his big brother plays video game, the baby grabs a controller to play too. How do I make him watch less tv

Kimberly71682

Asked by Kimberly71682 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son watches nick jr for an hour a day at home then he gets to go over to grandmas house watch spongebob. I hate spongebob but oh well grandma spoils him!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 4:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Shut the tv off and keep it off for the rest of the day is what I do.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 4:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Well all I can say is spongebob is not a good role model for anyone.
    WARNING

Answer by WARNING at 4:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• No TV until age three. Then, no more than two hours a day.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I think spongebob isnt appropriate for a toddler or a child maybe more of a pre-teen show if you ask me.

My 4 and 2 yr old only watch pbs/nick jr or disney junior shows for maybe an hour and then on the weekends we all watch a movie together.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 4:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Depends.
    GizzyB

Answer by GizzyB at 4:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Up until age 2 years they are not supposed to watch any according to experts and after that no more then 1-2 hours a day. And that includes all screen time including computer and video games. We try to stick to that in our house, but it doesn't always happen.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I let my son watch about a half hour in the morning, when I am trying to get us ready to go. When we come home, I don't turn it on. Daddy turns on the tv when he gets home, but after dinner and a bath, my son is lucky if he watches another 1/2 hour.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• my 13 month old loves barney and veggie tales (we have netflix no cable) but she prob. watches a least 1 hr a day. My 4 yr old watches to much and always has but at the same time its back ground noise. But my 4yr old also has learned so much from nick jr shes speaking spanish from dora naming animals i dont even know from deigo shes really smart. so those of you that say tv doesnt teach....if you watch the right shows it does. I have been starting to play music instead of tv but tv is so much easier when im trying to cook or something
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 2:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• my step daughter loves to have the tv on all the time but she doesnt watch it all the time she will do other things around the house, like play with her dolls, color, we will go out and play, stuff like that. she likes to fall asleep watching tv and watch it when she gets up that is all.
    alw06tchs

Answer by alw06tchs at 6:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2011