Does it really work?

Just curios, I know there are more parents out there that want to know. Does it work.... your baby can read. A bit spectacle when I seen it in the stores. It's a lot of money to waste for a scam but if it work then it is well worth it!!!!!

Kimberly71682

Asked by Kimberly71682 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does it work? Sure it does - kids are sponges and can learn all kinds of things. But from what I've read, you will spend hours teaching it to them this early because they aren't developmentally ready. Time that could have been spent on them learning developmentally appropriate things. If you wait until they are ready, generally around 4 the outcome is much better, the children learn to read much quicker, and they are able to generalize their reading skills across different curriculum. When you teach reading, it's more involved than looking at a word and being able to say it - it involves comprehension and IMO should be taught using phonics instead of whole language. (I have my education degree) It's also useless information for a baby to learn!

Answer by missanc at 5:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• It is a memorization program and is a waste of money. The best thing you can do to foster reading skills is to read to your children often.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Sorry to say this, but.......do we REALLY need to teach our BABIES to read????????!!!!!!!! I mean, lets let them be babies for cryin' out loud!!!! They'll learn soon enough. Besides, they are probably only learning by rote memory anyway.
    natersmom76

Answer by natersmom76 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I teach in an elementary school, and I would be skeptical of it. I have never once looked at it for our 4 year old or 6 month old. There is so much more that goes along with reading...Does it have an emphasis on Phonemic Awareness or phonics? Or are the reading by memory? I'd leave it at the store if it's just memorizing.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 5:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• why does your baby need to read?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would also love to know if it works - it makes sense to me to teach babies skills like reading if you can. Just look at how many kids we have who still can't read in middle school and high school. Why would you NOT want to give your child advantages?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:04 PM on Feb. 27, 2011