Can an ultrasound be wrong in telling a baby's gender?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• pregnant bellyI thought it was 99.99 accurate

smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• This probably depends largely on the experience and skill of the person doing the U/S and determining the "result".
    natersmom76

Answer by natersmom76 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• It sure can. One of my girls was supposed to be a boy - and it wasn't that many years ago. Supposedly a mom on here was told she was having 1 girl then had twin boys instead. My SIl works in L&D and postpartum at a large hospital and says about 1 out of 8 moms they have has the opposite sex theyr'e told.
    Anonymous

• Yes it can. Usually not, but it definitely can.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Yes, it can and many times it has been.. If the baby is younger than thought, it can be wrong.. Male and female look the same until about 17 weeks.. If the baby is not in a good position to see the "goods" it can be wrong and of course the umbilical cord can get in the way and give a girl a boy part LOL...

Just a few years ago my SIL was told a girl.. It was a boy :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Yes it can. Mine was. But it is okay I love my dd.
    WARNING

Answer by WARNING at 5:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• yes it can be wrong. I have a friend who thought she was having a boy and got everything for a boy, well she ended up having a girl. Usually when you go they tell you how sure they are. For example when I was pregnant with my 3rd child I tried to find out what I was having because we already had 2 boys. Well the tech said "I can only say with an 80% certainty that it is a girl"

She said the baby was not laying in a good position.  She was right though!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Of course it can be wrong - it's a human interperting the data/information they see and mistakes happen with sonograms all the time.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 5:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Happened to me. I was told I was having a girl and had a boy :) Nothing in life is 100% @smiley, I love your sweetpea!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• It's pretty uncommon these days but it CAN happen. The tech will usually tell you how sure they are.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2011