When is a good age to start spanking your child?

I was wondering when you start spanking your child at what age I have a 28 month old and I am looking for different punishments for toddlers

krispykreme

Asked by krispykreme at 7:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started the pops on the bum when he was almost 2. And I have to add that he did NOT go through the "terrible twos", nor did he go through the "terrible threes". He just turned 4 and is a pretty good kid.
    Now when I first started spanking him I only used my hand and it was over the dipper and it was only one time. Now that he is older I use a small paddle and it is two spankings.
    KiriandWyatt

Answer by KiriandWyatt at 7:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I've been giving my daughters a good wack on the behinde since they were 18 months...
    The2Beths

Answer by The2Beths at 7:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Never IMO!I think there are much better ways to handle discipline then slapping a child.
    LilyFrogTat

Answer by LilyFrogTat at 8:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• never. I agree with lilyfrog
    lillie023

Answer by lillie023 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I think around 18 months is a good time. They understand right from wrong at that age or they wouldn't try to hide their wrong doings from you. I think other forms of punishment should be used first though and then a spanking if that doesn't work. However, I've noticed an increase in this "no spanking" trend going around and using "time outs" as a way of punishment. Could somebody please give me an example on how this technique works? I've never seen it work on ANY child! If anything, the only thing I've seen is more bad behavior from the excessive use of these "time outs." I don't see other mammals in the animal kingdom using time-outs for their young. I do not condone however smacking a child in the face, hair pulling, etc. Spankings on the butt are sufficient enough.
    Mommysgirl0608

Answer by Mommysgirl0608 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• oooooh i would also say never hit a child. time outs do work they just take repeating like most lessons, a child learns they learn through repetition... just like talking the more you talk to them the more they learn what words mean. same thing with time outs you need to be consistent and tell them calmly why they are getting a time our before it happens and after it is over. also generally 1 minute per year of age for time.
    elithefly

Answer by elithefly at 10:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• NEVER!
    What are you going to do when your child decides to turn around and hit you? Can't punish the child, cause he/she learned it from you. Spanking only makes matters worse, makes the child feel low, anger issues and more. Do Time Outs.
    Anonymous

• You must define 'spanking' I can only speak for Texas. It is defined as ONE open hand swat to the buttocks. this is what I used/use not exclusively along with time-outs..etc. I began with a firm tone of voice 6-12 months...spanking 2 yrs or so when I could not get their attention otherwise. I child I spanked maybe 3 times. The other I could have beat and it would have made no difference...depends on the child really. As always, IMO
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• As soon as they get in trouble? I gave them a pat as soon as they found a reason to need it. It all depends on the child. Just remember, only one per offense when they are little , it is to put fear of consequence into them not hurt them and never scold when you are mad(play pen time out if you have to)
    Sunshine625

Answer by Sunshine625 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• first time i slapped my daughter's hand she was 12 mos or so and she kept trying to put her dinner fork in the outlet. one little tappy slap and she never did it again. when its really important, i say pass them that slap. if its just misbehavior, i'd wait until around 2 or so when they begin to understand empathy and that thier actions can hurt you. and i'd explain that to them before i resorted to spanking. it should be a last resort.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2008