how did you keep them in their bed?

my daughter is 14 months old, and im trying to get her into her toddler bed. the crib just isnt working anymore. (climbing issues). but ofcourse, she crawled out and walked to my room. any suggestions or helpful tips to keep her in her room, in HER bed. did you make it appealing to your young ones?? how? did it take you 2 hours a night to get them to stay in there? how did it all work for your young ones? ANY adivce is appreciated. thank you in advance.

kiliki_malie

Asked by kiliki_malie at 1:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We put a pressure gate at her doorway. That way, her door was open, so she didn't feel locked in, but she couldn't get out. She either fell asleep by the gate (and we would place her in her bed later), or she would find her way back to bed. We left the hall lights on and were always in earshot so that she felt secure through the process. Good luck.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• No clue. If you figure it out let me know LOL
    Anonymous

• baby gate...shut the door have a monator. they fall asleep when ready
    Anonymous

• oh goodness... lol.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 1:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• ok my brother is 5 years old and just sarted sleeping alone in his bed my parents took him to wal-mart and let him pick out a bedspread and a pillow so he would want to be in his bed. and afeter one night he go a small toy after 3 nights he got a bigger toy and after five and then 7 he got any toy of his choice hope this helps you!!!
    sarabeth347

Answer by sarabeth347 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Ok.. Not looking for any drama on this answer, but we switched the locks from the inside to the outside and locked the door. This was trying several different things before ie: gate, getting up and putting him back in bed, nothing worked but this. When he got the hang of it we no longer locked the door. He now shares a room w/ older bro and they both do pretty good with staying in their beds. I am a sucker for kids that get scared in the middle of the night so I make exceptions for this. My advice is to find what works for your family. Good Luck and she will eventually sleep by herself.
    fbic72

Answer by fbic72 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• We do a baby gate with the door open. I have a 3 yr old and 2 yr old sometimes they fall asleep in odd places. But at least they are in their room and asleep.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 1:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• When I put my kids in a bed, from a crib, I would tell them here is the next step in Big Kid World. My oldest had the biggest problem with it! I would take him back to his bed tuck him in and tell him every time you come into my room at night a bad bean will be placed in your jar, and when you hit 10 beans I am takeing your Big Boy Bed away and putting you back in the crib! I also had a friend who told her child there were monsters behind the door and if she opend the door, they would get loose. Worked like a charm, but now she thinks monsters are real.
    Mica30

Answer by Mica30 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Baby gate on the door or put a lock on the outside of the door and lock her in.

This is a large safety issue. Locking her in her room keeps her SAFER. Make sure all of her furniture is bolted to the wall and make sure her closet door is locked too. Letting her wander the house means she will be exploring the kitchen and trying to figure out how to unlock the front door - all while you are asleep. It also means that if there is a fire, you will have no idea where your child is. When there is a fire in the house, children do NOT go find an adult. They get scared and hide. Many, many dead children are found hiding in closets and cupboards after the fire is out. Lock the door. Keep her in her room so you know where to find her in an emergency.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Oh, and until she is used to sleeping in her bed, take all her toys out of her room. They are just temptations to get up and play.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2008