When did your child stop wetting the bed?

GizzyB

Asked by GizzyB at 4:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• My oldest is 4 and she still wets the bed sometimes. Even if i dont give her anything to drink an hour before bed and make her pee before bed she STILL wets the bed. Her dr. says its normal up til about 6. My dd also has low muscle tone so he said that could be why she is doing it.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My oldest and youngest stopped basically shortly after they were potty trained. My middle son was almost 4 and still wetting the bed so we talked to the doctor about. He ended up going to a specialist and having the tip of his penis opened a little more. After that he completely stopped wetting the bed.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• DS was in kindergarten about 5 and a half.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• my son is 8 and every once in awhile he still has an accident. :(
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My 5 year old stopped as soon as she was potty trained, and it only took a week to fully potty train her. My 6 year old still wets the bed every night and has at least one "accident" during the day...I'm actually going insane about it because this problem started a couple years ago between the ages of 3 to about 4 1/2 she never had an issue with wetting herself during the day or at night. Epilepsy runs in the family and I was told at her age that could be why but she had an EKG and MRI, they were normal. She'll soon be meeting with the school counselor to see if its a psychological problem.
    Anonymous

• my son is 6 years 4 months. His last accident was last Summer I think. He has a condition called FDU "frequent daytime urination" where his muscles and brain signals are goofy. His bladder tells his brain it's full and ready to literally burst often, sometimes hourly. And he'll run to the bathroom in a panic sometimes in tears thinking he's about to pee his pants and then barely a dribble comes out. I think if he didn't use the bathroom 20-30 times during the day, he'd likely still have a few bed-wetting issues. It is pretty age appropriate.

Daughter is 4 1/2 and accident free for 2+ years w/ the exception of if she's sick. If she has a fever or illness she gets into very deep sleeps and will occasionally piddle.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My son is 6 years old and other than a handful of times, always wet the bed. I have gotten a lot of advice. Even tried waking him up at night. I could wake him every 2 hours and he would still wet the bed at times. We had him checked out by the doctor. He had ultra sounds of his kidneys and bladder and they were fine. The doctor's said he will grow out of it but still hasn't. I really don't know what to do.
    GizzyB

Comment by GizzyB (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• my daughter only wet the bed once

Answer by rkoloms at 5:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My two were around 7-8 when they stopped. My brothers were 10 or so. What's normal varies all over the place and your son will grow out of it when his body matures to the point that he can do it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous 15 minutes ago

I feel your pain. My son does wet himself during the day too. I know he knows when to go to the bathroom because when he is put in timeout, he will let me know that he has to go. Him wetting himself makes me just want to cry.
    GizzyB

Comment by GizzyB (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2011