Compared to many other countries, the USA is very lax in education. Should we become more demanding or be happy with mediocre?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 5:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think we should be more demanding for equal expectations/funding in our schools.. The problem is we have some very good schools and some very crappy schools. The good schools are in areas where there is the most money and volunteers. The crappy schools, in my state, the kids can get vouchers to go to private school instead since their home school is 'failing'. So instead of putting funds into the crappy school we are funding the kids to go to private schools. Makes sense right?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I think we need to become more demanding. Maybe even have longer school days. It would also help contain some of the wayward teenagers who have too much time on their hands.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I have always felt we should be more demanding in our schools. We're so far behind in education than alot of other countries it's an embarassment. We feel sorry for our kids if they're given too much homework, have too many tests etc. I say year round school, a week off for Spring break, 2 weeks for summer and a week for Christmas. At the same time we have to have money implemented to see to it that schools are a priority.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• We live in a city with the shortest school day and the shortest school year in the industrialized world. It is horrible.

The US has lost its standing on the world stage, both politically and economically, because we do such a horrible job educating our children.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• i agree we need to expect more of our children! we should expect more from ourselves too! i think school should be year round with several breaks. my oldest son is only in the 1st grade, but they had 8 weeks of review for a 12 week break!!!!! maybe we shouldn't be taking such long breaks! i think it is shameful that we have to import so many engineers, and still have so much unemployment!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Education isn't funded enough to be more demanding ---SADLY.

We have over crowded classrooms due to massive lay offs, we lack resources and materials, some districts lack in technology, reading specialists, special education support, etc. Administrative support is lacking in many districts as well. Not to mention, thanks to NCLB teachers are forced to teach to a damn test.

Anonymous

• I agree with you, happy2bmom. When we started homeschooling we adopted the year-round approach and it's worked wonders with our kids.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• The mediocrity is only likely to get worse . With conservatives having their eyes on funding cuts and no ideas on how to improve the system , I see no hope of improvement , with the exception of some localities where they take the issue very serioulsy . The system needs investment , not neglect and teacher bashing ,
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• It has very little to do with money and all of that. It has to do with parents that only using the school as a daycare and don't go to the school to see about their child's grades. It has to do with teachers that don't care, also. Kids can't learn if no one is helping them, there is no reason for 2 hours of homework a night or year round school if PARENTS would work with their children. Conservatives HAVE to cut spending, there is no money. DEMS are too worried about their precious WELFARE to allow that to be cut. I don't think the fed gov should have their hands in schools anyways. We have awesome schools where we live w/o the huge amounts of homework and year round schools, even the homeschool co-ops take summer break.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I am very concerned about the condition of public education in the United States. It makes my heart sad to know we are 28th out of 30 countries in industrialized nations. My true belief at this point is an utter deconstruction of our educational system must take place. And quickly. Yet I am doubtful this will happen. So I choose a non traditional private school designed very much after the top schools in other forward thinking countries. I am grateful we can afford it but I this isn't the answer for every family and every student. I believe every child deserves a free, fair, and excellent education supported by the citizens of this country. It is neither fair, free, nor excellent in reality at this moment. I am afraid our public education system, wide spread, is on life support. Which means are country is on life support. Quite frankly I am sick and tired of the damn back and forth of the Republican vs. Democrat

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2011