Prank gone wrong (spraying help)

I played a very, very funny trick on my husband that backfired. A neighbor seems to have turned into a cat hoarder since her husband died on Christmas day. Animal Control will be trapping in the Spring (northern minnesota, still very snowy and temps still dropping below zero at night) Some of these cats are fighting for territory, in premature "heat", etc and they howl alot. Luckily our house doesn't have anything for shelter like a porch or deck so we get left alone. About 5 nights ago, though, I punked my husband by walking around our whole house w/ a few cups of cat food sprinkling it around. They came in droves the entire night, howling, hissing, fighting, and were hilariously annoying. ... as the days have passed, though, we've learned that cats sprayed (did spray or are still spraying) and it smells SO AWFUL I am actually embarrassed for the mailman to come tomorrow. So question: how do I eliminate it? Bleach? I don't even care about killing the grass under the snow, I just need it gone.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Pets

• well if it was inside I would say and enzyme cleaner but I have no idea how that would effect grass or the paint on the house. I would start by researching some enzyme cleaners if it was me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• LMBO I'm so sorry but whenever we play pranks on our men they have their way of getting back at us without having to do anything LMBO!!!! They sell spray/liquid in the vacume dept in walmart/or a store like it Im not sure of the name but you'll see it. You could also check the pet dept...
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 5:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• well the worst part is that it's not like if a dog pee's on snow it's bright yellow..... it's invisible. I cannot SEE where they did it, only vaguely pinpoint exact area by smell.

I did call a local vet and (after she stopped laughing) she suggest going out w/ pitchers of hot water and melting the snow in the smelliest areas and then laying down some kind of deterrent like bleach or citrus stuff.

hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• LMBO!!! HAHAHAHA sorry this made my day, it sounded like such a good prank too.

Do as the vet said with the hot water, and to help protect your plants and stuff use hot sauce in the areas they are going too. I've done that for gardens to keep bunnies out. You'll have to keep it up though as the snow melts but it should work.
    Good luck!

Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• first i have to laugh! lol then i must say, why r the animal control people waiting til spring? Call a humane society to get them out of the cold and have them fixed. These kitties are hungry and cold. I feel so sorry for them. I think you should take some food far away from your house, lol and feed them until someone rescues them. maybe even provide them with shelter. i bet hubby could whip out a mean apt building for kitties only. put it in your neighbors yard! no i am kidding, maybe a wood area or somewhere that you don't have to smell it. but please help these kitties even if just calling cat rescue's. it would take much time and you would feel better about them. i hope hubby plans a good one for you. lol let us know if he does. good luck with the smell. i think bleach would do it. that's what we used in the grooming shop. they use it in the dog pounds to sterilize and get rid of odor. one more idea, I always used LIME !
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 5:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• lmbo! that's funny. And I hate to say it, but if they sprayed, cats will be coming back. But if it's just on the snow I would say shovel where it smells.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• not the lime you use in the kitchen, go to a feed mill and tell them you need lime for deodorizing. they will know what to give you. lol still laughing. thanks for the laugh. my dashund died today and I have been very down.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 6:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If it were me I would go to a Pet store like, Pet Smart, Feeders Supply, etc. They should have the answer for you!!! I would also call animal control and tell them they are being a nuisance and you would like for them to come out and pick them up. Remind them that they are out in the cold and freezing weather and something needs to be done. Also do not leave and food, wrappers, trash, etc. that they can get to, because once they have been fed by someone they will come back. Also you do not know if they are healthy or not so be very careful, some of them may have illnesses such as rabies!!!! I live in a small town and use to feed stray cats under my carport, then the raccoons and possums started showing up so I had to stop feeding them. But you could tell by looking at them that they were being fed by others also!!
    May God grant you peace in this matter and any others that you may have,
    Love & Hugs,
    Billie Mae
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 6:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• BAHAHAHAHA.. You got the raw end of that that LMAOOO!!! Try vinegar in a pump sprayer with water. Also odoban
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• try vinegar and baking soda good luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2011