Applesauce debate

Most parents buy applesauce on a fairly regular basis. Either the big jugs or the individual serving cups for lunch boxes. My curiosity is they're the same exact price and they're literally right next to each other on the store shelf. So why do so few buy the natural kind? Meaning just applesauce inside, no sugar or corn syrup. What in your opinion, is the motive for purposely buying the unhealthy kind? Turning a fruit into a dessert?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I buy the natural kind as well. And you are right, some of the "apple sauces have almost as much sugar as cookies
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• When I do buy applesauce I buy the natural kind, but I do it because I think it taste better.
    Actually, I usually just buy apples.
    But what on earth do my buying habits have anything to do with you? I think that is the actual debate--not why I choose to buy what I buy.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• How do you know what most parents buy? Did you do a door to do applesauce survey?

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My reason is simple. My son suffers from a feeding disorder and getting him to eat anything has always been extremely difficult for both me and his therapist. He is mainly on a liquid diet and has just recently begun to eat applesauce and since there's only a certain one he will eat, in order to make sure he eats food at all, that is the one I give him. (You never know what people's reasons are unless you're in their shoes...)
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 5:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• fruit is dessert. It's also breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's natural sweetness makes it a perfect anytime food. I personally don't like the natural kind because I find it bland, but instead of buying the extra corn syrup and stuff, I bring it home and put cinnamon, brown sugar, honey, or even strawberry puree in with it. It makes it taste better without all the unnatural sweetness.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 5:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I buy the natural no sugar added, always have. Somehow we got some regular apple sauce one time, I think DH brought it home from work. OMG, we had to throw it away, it was so sweet we couldn't eat it. It was awful. That being said, I really don't care what other people buy.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Neither of my kids ever liked applesauce, to them it was babyfood (and really, I have to agree). We prefer the real apples over the things that look like someone already "processed" them for us.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I make my own too & jar it. Stays good for a long time if yo do it right.

Not everyone thinks to eat healthy. Too many people choose flavor before health, that is why America is so fat.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I think that most people naturally go for the more sugary treats.
    "All Natural" is a newer thing and most probably grab the other kind out of habit.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I have always found the natural ones to be MORE expensive. I usually make my own-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2011