What can I do in memory of my dog Dobie? He died of old age today.

It was so so sad. He just kept looking at me and I couldnt help him. I got to talk to him and say goodbye. I was thankful I came home from church in time to tell him goodbye. I sure am going to miss the old fellow. He loved to snuggle and loved rolling up in blankets to sleep. He loved to play ball with me. He loved my baby pomeranians. They would all curl up and sleep with him. I said he was their grandpa. lol wish I would have taken a picture of that. I thought I had pleanty of time. :( He would put up with all those puppies playing on him and he loved it. Towards the end, I wouldn't let them because he wasn't up to it.

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 5:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Pets

• Everyone here already gave you such good tips, so I just wanted to add my condolences. Over the years I've lost many different pets, and it never gets any easier. Here is a link to a Rainbow Bridge site for grieving pet parents.  I especially like "The Spirit of a Dog". 

http://www.lighthouseport.com/rb.html

I wish for you a light heart and easy mind.

hrh.sassypants

Answer by hrh.sassypants at 9:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I'm sorry about your loss, I know how it feels I've been there. I think you should maybe write a little blog somewhere in his honor. You can make some special in memory cards with a a pic of him to send to your family and friends, expressing how much he meant to you and your family. Also, you can make a scrapbook about him...these are some ideas that come to my head...I hope this helps.
    babysavy9

Answer by babysavy9 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• You can always have him cremated and keep his ashes and a photo of him and his collar on your dresser or something like that. We've done that for all our dogs that have passed and for a few who had a favorite place (the back yard, Kirby Park, Knobel's) we would spread a small portion of their ashes there and then keep the rest. You could bury him in the back yard as well and hold a small service for him with you and your hubby and kids. Go around in a circle and tell your favorite memory about him. I know it's hard but here's something that may help. http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 5:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I am so sorry to hear about your loss!!! I have had many dogs that I have had to put down for various reasons!!! They all died in my arms!!!
    The best way I can tell you to honor him, is make a donation to an animal shelter near you or volunteer your time to them!! If they are like most shelters they can really use donations!!! May God be with "Grandpa" and you will see him again!!!
    Love & Hugs,
    Billie Mae
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I am so very sorry for your loss. One thing you could do in memory of him is make a donation to your local humane society/animal shelter in your dog's name.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I just read of a business that will make a small piece of jewelry out of ashes if you choose to have your pet cremated. I believe the people were out of Montana.

When our animals die, we bury them in a special corner of our yard and have a river rock engraved with their name. Engraving only costs per letter from anywhere that does "human" headstones, so typically it costs about $40 if you provide the stone.

Sorry for your loss.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Thanks so much ladies! Lots of good idea's. I will use some and also, I decided to get a dogwood tree and plant in memory of him. I am still missing him. He is supposed to be on my lap right now. I don't have to carry him up and down the porch steps anymore. I thought it was a pain but now I would give anything to be doing it.
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 8:14 AM on Mar. 3, 2011