How can i get 4yr old to not be such a picky eater?

sunkist84

Asked by sunkist84 at 5:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I used to tell my boys when they were little that they couldn't have the steamed broccoli or anything they snubbed their nose at because it was only for big people or only for daddy. After that, most anything we ate they wanted, lol Now, they're both health nuts!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• When you introduce a new food, put it on a "trying plate". Everyone can take a bite off the "trying plate" and if they like it they can put some on their own plate. I did borrow this idea off of another mom on here and it worked great. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 5:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• as horrible as it sounds i would fix her what ever you guys are eating and if she doesnt eat then o well she doesnt get anything else for til the next meal. thats the way i was taught and thats the way i did my kids. when they get hungry enough they will try it and eat it.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them again.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I just feed them and make them eat. Pickiness not allowed.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Thanks u guys, it's a relieve to know i'm not the only one that has this problem i will put all ideas to use and hopefully i will have a healthy child.
    sunkist84

Comment by sunkist84 (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• we use the age rule they must eat vegetables and fruits the number that matches their age, they have to sit at the table until it is all gone also
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:46 AM on Feb. 28, 2011