Why do most people consider Social Security an entitlement program?

Social Security is not an entitlement program. When you work past, present and future, you pay into that program. You also pay into medicare. It is a program funded by the people. The Federal Government just overseas the fund. They have, in the past, borrowed from said fund and never repaid the money. Entitlements are welfare, foodstamps, medicaid, ssi, liep, hud, etc etc etc. This is the people's money and is matched by no one else....not employers nor the government.

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it has to do with the fact that there are children and adults who get SSI who have never worked and it has similar initials or is spoken of as just 'social security'. There are a lot of people who don't know the difference between SS, SSI, and SSDI. Two of those have to be paid into as well as medical exams and frustration out the wazoo, and one requires a certain amount of work or you don't get it. SSI also requires a lot of medical ok's but it is a lot more lenient as far as qualifying requirements.

If you work and pay into it, SS is not an 'entitlement ~ beyond what Kathy675 mentioned. The people who had their paychecks plundered are definitely entitled to get that money back. I don't count on it being there when I should be getting some back, so I save my own ... and Uncle Sammy can just forget about getting his grubby little paws on it.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Well, it is probably the only true 'entitlement' program out there. I pay into it, so I am entitled to my return. The rest are just 'give-aways'.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• It's entitlement for me! For the last 38-40 yrs I have paid into it and yes I feel I'm entitled to my investment (ha, ha) Back then that is all we had! Their was no 401K, Social Security was set up for retirement.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If people take out far more than they put in, it becomes an entitlement, IMO. Think of the people who put in the minimum quarters to qualify, and then draw for eons. Like with anything else, if you take out more than you put it, a system becomes unsustainable.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• You work your ass off all your life you deserve something in return and that's what your retirement fund is. Or your SS fund is.
    Goverment programs like food stamps are not entitlement. They're privliages.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:31 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Most people are working to age 70 now before they take their SS benefits

Where in the HELL did you come up with that? People may be working until age 70 but that doesn't mean they are waiting until then to draw their SS. That would be some really stupid people.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:04 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• You can retire at any time between age 62 and full retirement age. However, if you start benefits early, your benefits are reduced a fraction of a percent for each month before your full retirement age.

(so actually you are stupid if you take it BEFORE full retirement age!)

Actually, no you are not stupid. If you do not take it ate age 62 you reduce the entire amount of benefits over the remainder of your lifetime. The amount you collect from 62 to 65 will increase the amount you actually will get back in total. Any financial adviser would tell you that.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Most people are working to age 70 now before they take their SS benefits. You CAN take them earlier but you dont get the full amount. Even with the full amount a lot of people are strapped for living expenses. If they dont have other income from pensions or 401 K or savings they are hurting financially. Just like you can't live off what you get from a welfare check you also cant live very comfortably on most SS checks. Difference is you SHOULD be getting more on SS because you worked for it. As for saying its unfair for people who pay in less to get it for the same amount of time, how long is a person really getting it if they work till age 70? Maybe 10 to 15 yrs if they are lucky.
    Anonymous

• Because the money we pay in today is not being set aside for us, it's paying those who are drawing it out now. I consider this generation to be paying for today's retirees while we must also set back our own retirement funds because what the government takes is not going to be there when we need it. Also, I think it's a crock because I can't opt out of paying in for medicare and SS. If I want to save on my own fine, but the government is still taking a chuck to hand out to others.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Yes, amounts given vary according to amounts earned (with a cap), but TIME is not altered. If you only work for the minimum quarters, the length of time that you are allowed to draw, should also be shortened, IMO. Bottom line, a system where people are taking out far more than they put in, is unsustainable.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2011