Want to train for a 5K

I used to be a runner and over the past 4 years I have let myself "go". I want to start running so I made a goal to train for a 5K. I was wondering what a good goal time I should aim for. Also, if any of you have trained for this, what was your plan? I have a plan in mind but just curious.

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 6:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Well, if you go to www.halhigdon.com he has training programs on his site. He is a marathon runner and writer for Runner's World magazine. I am currently doing his 1/2 marathon training program.
    I usually run a 5K in about 28 minutes...3.5 miles in 33 minutes.......I did 5 miles today in 52 minutes, but my calf started cramping so I dropped my speed for a mile and then bumped it back up once the cramp stopped bothering me.
    You can also go to www.coolrunnings.com ( couch to 5K)...it trains you to run a 5K in 8 weeks.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• How old and fit are you?
    Google the Galloway walk/run rpogram.
    I recently signed up for a half marathon and the program will give you 3.5 hours to finish, which is around 15 minute miles.

You should be able to walk/run 15 minut miles- so 45 minutes for a 5k (3.1 miles)

I am mid 50s and could run a 5K in 30 minutes.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I am 24 and I'm trying to get back into shape. A few months ago when I started, I was running 2 miles in 30 mins. But then I stopped bc I got pregg but miscarried so I wanna get back in there. I have until late April so I am pretty sure I can get myself to do it in less than 30 mins.
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2011