Need Help

My 2 week old sounds congested. He is coughing and u can tell that his nose is stopped up. I have already used the nose thing on him and haven't tried the shower thing yet. Was wonder if it is okay to put vicks on a newborn.

CherBear2529

Asked by CherBear2529 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't.
    Anonymous

• There's a baby version of vicks. You can get it over the counter at any pharmacy and you may be able to use a tiny amount. However with such a young baby, it is best to consult your doctor.
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Only 2 weeks old. See a doctor.
    WARNING

Answer by WARNING at 6:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Put a drop of breastmilk in each nostril

Answer by rkoloms at 7:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would call and ask your dr or pharmacist first and if they say it is ok I was told when my DD was little to put the child in a onsie you dont much care about and appy the vicks on the onsie so it isn't on the babies skin.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 7:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would try taking into the bathroom and running the shower and seeing if that helps if not call your doctor and see what they recommend
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:37 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• after turning on the hot water in the shower and sitting in there to let the stuff break up in his nose, use the bulb while you're in there and suck the stuff out. it won't get it all, but it will get most. i agree with the pp, if you are breastfeeding, or even if you're not, you should still have something coming out of you, use some of that and put it in each nostril, like saline drops. the doctor will more than likely give you saline drops. my ds went through this at that age, it's heartbreaking
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:41 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• The baby vicks is really only for 3mths and older. You can use a humidifier in the room while he sleeps. It is also good to put him in the bathroom while u take a shower and the steam will loosen up his mucus.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 28, 2011