Does anyone else make cakes from scratch?

I never thought this much went into any cake. I made a devil's food cake from scratch and I have it in the oven now. I even set the timer for five minutes early so I can start watching it from there.
And I made the frosting from scratch.
Just wanted to see if I can do it.

idaspida

Asked by idaspida at 7:23 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yay! I hope its delicious. And even if it looks a funny-like mine always do-as long as its tasty it doesn't matter!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 8:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I always bake/cook from "scratch". It tastes better ~to me. And you know a little bit more of what is in your food.
    WARNING

Answer by WARNING at 7:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Good for you. I hope it comes out great! I have several recipes that I used to make from scratch but have not done them in years.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I love making cakes from scratch.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 7:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I do sometimes. Hubby's favorite cake is a mayonnaise cake, but his mom makes it with miracle whip instead of mayo and it tastes a little, um, gross funky. I won't eat it but I do make one for him once in a while because he does like them.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Good Job to you.. I would love to make one from scratch but I dont have the time :( My boys are always running crazy lol
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Really, if you make it right it's just a very moist and dense chocolate cake. But, made with miracle whip it's got a "tang" that just doesn't go with cake to me. Here's a recipe http://southernfood.about.com/od/chocolatecakes/r/bl01018a.htm

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I make the one on the side of the Hershey's cocoa box. I can't believe how moist it is. It doesn't even need frosting!

Answer by admckenzie at 7:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I prefer the boxed kind but I've made zucchini cake from scratch (which is basically carrot cake but with zucchini instead of or in addition to carrot). And I made the cream cheese frosting from scratch. Yummy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• A mayonnaise cake sounds inrteresting. Is it sweet?
    idaspida

Comment by idaspida (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2011