How long is too long to have diarrhea

My DD has had diarrhea for a little over a week now. I've stopped all juices and milk, since my pedi said that it makes it worse, but she still has it. It's so bad it's coming out the sides and the top of her diaper in the back. She is cutting her one year molars, she also has a runny nose and slight fever. I was just curious as to wether or not I should give her pedi a call or if it's just normal???? I'm a first time mom and don't want to be one of those moms who take their kid to the dr for every little sniffle. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say that this has gone on too long, coupled with the fact that you are not giving her many fluids along with the fever, she can become dehydrated very easily, and that is VERY serious. Call her pediatrician, and if they don't do anything, then at least take her into the ER so that they can give her some fluids via IV and avoid dehydration.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• The main concern is dehydration. I think I would give the doc a call and describe the situation to a nurse. They may want to see her just to make sure everything is okay. And I am not a mom who runs to the doctor for every little thing, either. I only go if we really need to go, and in this case, I think it at least warrants a call.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• ... and push fluids. You can give her watered down pedialyte, plain water, or even some watered down chicken broth.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Cut out wheat too. My niece used to get diarrhea like that. it would go on for a week or more. She would get such terrible diaper rashes and yeast infections. My SIL would cut out juice and wheat. Within a couple of days her little digestive track would be back to normal. I forget what her pediatrician said about why, but he said to cut out the wheat. That means any crackers, pasta, breads etc. She ate a lot of rice and rice cakes for a couple of days. Try bananas too. They'll help firm up the stool. If she is having more than 6 to 8 watery stool diapers a day, then she needs to be evaluated by the doctor. Dehydration is always a concern with babies with diarrhea. Things to look for: dry tongue, no tears, lethargic, sunken eyes and when you push on her skin if the pigment doesn't return immediately. Good luck!

boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 1:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Call the Dr. office immediatly. Get her in ASAP If the office can not see her today take her to the ER. Dehydration is a big concern, and something you want to avoid. If you have cut out her juice, replace it with Pedialite, if she still has diarrhea keep going with the pedialite. and like boizmom said check her for signs of dehydration.
    Mica30

Answer by Mica30 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Call your pediatrician & have her seen.
    Bookwormy

Answer by Bookwormy at 5:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2008