How to change this?

so our dog that we got like three week ago flips out today when my mother in law walked in th house. no she did not knock or anything but she comes here all the time the dog flipped i had to grab him and calm him down. later my dh and i were in the kitchen (dog was with us) dh goes to go to bathroom and i hear him talking to someone. my step son had come in our house without knocking and the dog did nothing. we want him to let us know when someone is here not pick and chose nobody should just walk in this house but i dont want him overly mean any suggestions

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 7:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Pets

• He must feel your stepson is part of the pack & did not feel the need to bark. For some reason he does not have that same feeling about your MIL. Tell the truth- you trained him to keep your MIL away- right! LOL!!! JK He will get used to her & you will need to work w/ him on socializing w/ strangers. It will take some time, but maybe if you know when you are getting company, put on his leash for better control. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I agree, I believe he is familiar with your stepson too...or did your stepson use a familiar family entrance, different from the door your mil used by any chance?

I would not teach this dog to guard or charge anyone coming in the door. If he has the protective instinct, it will be there when you need it, such as a strange intruder for instance. That is enough. It is better to keep a lid on that guarding instinct and have control than to have a dog who is encouraged to guard and later have a bad accident. Dogs who are taught incorrectly to guard often end up creating huge difficulties for their owners. It is best to maintain the control and teach him not to greet anyone coming in the door, that is your job unless you are not home, or tell him otherwise. Train him that way. And if you do ever decide to step back and let him go, I am sure he will at that time be able to take your cue and do that job.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2011