Pros and Cons of the Baby Eye drops at birth?

Baby will be here in just over a month, and I'd love to know what you think of the eye drops that babies get in the hospital. I'm with a Midwife who said she can administer them if we want them, but I'm just not sure yet. Opinions?

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 7:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I didn't even though there was an option for this! I had a midwife as well but my son was born at a hospital, not a birth center-maybe that is why I wasn't given the option, they just went ahead and did it.

However, I thought there was more to it than just protecting from gonorrhea...but I don't know enough about it to debate that. Good question!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 7:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• keeps the bacteria and other stuff from delivery out of the eye. I don't think there's any harm in it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• it is supposed to be used to prevent the mothers ghonnerhea from getting into the babies eyes isn't it? if you don't have that std, then why put anything in your babies eyes? i think it is sad being born into the world and not being able to open your eyes because they are weighted down with...what is it, silver nitrate?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Eye drops at birth are given for the main purpose of helping to prevent any possible infection in your babies eyes from their trip down the birth canal during labor. Certain bacteria, like those caused from STD’s like gonorrhea and Chlamydia can cause permanent vision problems and blindness as well as spreading throughout the body and causing other problems. The eye drops are just a precaution. It is a practice that is accepted and done in much of the world, and is even a law in many states. The most common antibiotic given today is erythromycin, however some places still administer silver nitrate which is the first antibiotic that was given starting back in the late 1800′s.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Keep bacteria away from eyes
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2011