Can anyone give me some advice on how to cook a turkey breast?

I have never had to cook Thanksgiving dinner before,but this year it's just me and my 2 kids.

So I just got back from the store and bought a 6lb turkey breast, oven bags, a aluminum cooking turkey pan, and some chicken broth..LOL

I am also making mashed potatoes with cream cheese and sour cream and chives, and green bean casserole,but I know how to make those!

Never Never Never have made a turkey or whole chicken Ever...I don't know what to baste it with or what to put in the bottom of the pan....All I do know is cook at 350 for 2-3 hours.

But I want it to taste good..I have butter, garlic salt , pepper etc.. I just need some help on what to do with it all, so I can make my first Thanksgiving meal and it actually taste good!

Please HELP me...Thanks

mandycane06

Asked by mandycane06 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Food & Drink

• The oven bags ususally have a good recipe right on the box. If not take a tablespoon and a half of flour and sput it in the open bag. Hold the openeing closed and shake it to coat the inside, Find a pan that is at least 1 1/2 inches on the side. Place the breast in side take a 1/2-3/4 a cup of the both. Add some pepper, garlic..whatever seasoning you prefer. Place rough cut , potatoes, carrots, onions arounf the breast if desitred. Pout the broth mix over the top. Close the bag ands seal with the tie. cut 4-5 small slits in the TOP of the bag. Bake at the recommended times and tewmp for the weight of the meat (will be on the box). Make sure the bag doesn't touch the top or sides of oven. Enjoy!
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I use margarine to baste, and it helps make it that lovely golden brown color.

I bake my turkey just like I do my chicken. If I have whole garlic, I mince it (if not I use garlic powder), mix with pepper, onion powder, salt and margarine, and use that as a rub and put it all over the bird.

Also, at the bottom of the bird there should be a place where you can lift up the skin a little...rub some of the mixture in there as well.

Make sure you take all the guts out of the bird. And leave his legs in the metal holding things!

You can put almost anything on the bottom of the pan, any veggie will work, or you can do traditional stuffing in and around the turkey. I never have used a baking bag for a turkey, so not really sure what to tell you there, I always have just covered with aluminum foil.

OH! And I baste mine every 15-20 mins. I know it sounds like a lot, but it comes out soooo moist!!

Good luc
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• luck** hehe
    CarolynBarnett

• I just found a recipe for a whole turkey that I'm going to try. It's called brined turkey. I think it will be really good. You place the turkey in a clean bucket or a pot with cold water and coarse salt like sea salt or kosher salt and soak it 12 hours ( in the fridge) then you drain it and cook it like normal directions. The salt is supposed to make it very tender and moist.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2008