Has your kid got sick after getting their shots?

they said if she starts to cough to call them bc sometime kids get sick after getting their shots but my oldest didnt im just wondering if you kid got sick and if so what happen

twimommy

Asked by twimommy at 7:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes. After her one year ok'd shots she had a terrible Cold, cough and a fever.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• *old
    MLM0503

• In my experience (pediatric nurse) many kids have some sort of reaction to shots....usually a low grade fever, sometimes cranky and runny nose, the reaction really depends on the type of shot and the number of shots they have had. The reaction that I'm talking about is caused from putting a foreign substance into the body....not the child "getting the flu" or "getting chickenpox", etc....I'm slightly surprised that your doc said something about a cough, but maybe it's a common reaction to whatever type shot your dd just got.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My son has never really gotten 'sick' he's just had a low grade fever and been kinda irritable. But hey, I'd be irritable too if someone stuck me with a needle!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 7:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I'm with kjrn79- those are normal reactions to vaccinations, and they tend not to last more than a day or two. DS got a minor rash from tha varicella vaccine, but it went away shortly after that. Other than that, just the crankiness and fever.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My son had a reaction to the MMR (2nd dose), 3rd dose was a half dose and the last dose was a full dose. He did fine for all the rest of his shots.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Just a low grade fever but I was told not to worry because that is just her body working the vaccinations through. Other than that, my daughter was a little fussy, which was way out of her character.
    Peggs11

Answer by Peggs11 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 28, 2011