I have a 21 month old and Im trying to potty train her. She knows when she uses the bathroom but I cant get her to go on the potty and she too short to get on the toilet.. can someone please help me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Best advice I ever got was give her the tools to to learn what she needs to then let her do it when she is ready. Worst advice I got is that you have to have your kid potty trained by 3.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 7:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• @Dragonqueen, She has all the tools but she dosent seem interested and I know shell be trained by 3...thats too old! Lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I used to think the same thing because of parental pear pressure. So what exactly do you plan to do when or if she refuses to train until she is 3? That is not too old at all. The national average is 3.5.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 8:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• my son wouldn't go on the potty. then one day I took his pull ups way and bought cheep underwear. and I would put him on the potty every 30mins until he went. and every hour after he went. he spent the weekend making a mess. if it was just wet i would wash it. if it was messy I toss it. but he didn't like the feeling of being wet and started going to the potty. even the pull up keep them dry so he had no interest in learning.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• She may not be ready. If she's got the tools but isn't following through, she may simply not be ready. Pushing it before she's ready is just going to lead to a frustrated toddler and mom. Have you looked at the readiness check-list? Is she hitting those cues? Is she showing discomfort in soiled diapers? Is she curious about the bathroom? Can she pull her own pants up and down? Is she recognizing she has to go -- and caring? IF not, just back off a bit and try again when she's more ready.

Sure, a kid can be trained at 21 months, but most are not ready until somewhere between their 2nd and 3rd birthday. When she *is* ready, find her hot button and just keep pushing it. For both mine it was going to preschool. They couldn't go in diapers. We toured the school and they were hooked. Both gave up diapers within a week after the tour. They were about 31 and 30 months respectively.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Each child is different.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011