Is there anything wrong with not getting your child dressed in your own home?

I am working hard on getting my son potty trained and I have been dressing him in a pair of underwear when I am at home. I keep the house very warm (80 degrees). My Mom has done foster carefor years and she tells me that if for some reason CPS shows up at my door they will consider it a sign of neglect. Why? My house is clean. There is plenty of food and toys. I can't live in fear of CPS 24/7 in my own home. Its just hard to clean up accidents if I have to take off pants and a shirt as well. Could I get in trouble if thats the only sign of "neglect?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• If that was the case, I think that just about all of us would have to worry. That is something that is so minor in thier book. Someone would have to call and report reasonalbe proof of child abuse, such as brusies and such, and letting a little one run around in just a diaper or panites is not a form of child abuse. How in the world are you to potty train if not wearing panties? I wouldn't worry about it at all! GL
    djh0505

Answer by djh0505 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Don't worry about CPS! They just don't go around knocking on regular people's doors without reason! Rest easy and tell your mom to do the same...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I can't imagine there would be any problem with this.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Heck no! As long as he isn't wet and running around in undies, you should be fine. I have had CPS called on me three times (maliciously). Each time I was cleared immediately. The first time they came, I had my newborn wearing a onesie and my two year old wearing just a diaper. They had nothing to say :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:52 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• are you worried about cps for some reason? i doubt they would really do anything. my ds was eather in a diaper or underwear most of the summers.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I am pretty sure that CPS won't just show up at your door without a reason and if they do they won't take your kid away just because he is in his undies. CPS might not look highly upon kids being without clothes but I don't think they will take your kid away for that reason alone.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Well if that's the case good thing CPS never stopped by my place. My daughter was always running around in her underwear while potty training. She still does sometimes. People would stop by and she would answer the door in her underwear. This is a normal occurance in our place.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• No it is not! And if CPS shows up at your house tell them they have to stand outside for a few minutes or tell them to return with a court order. They can't come in your home without your permission or without a warrant.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:54 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I don't have any reason to worry about it its just something my Mom said.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• No. My ten year old still runs around the house in his undies. He's in the privacy of his own home so screw anyone else's opinion. Including CPS. You have to come up with alot more than that to remove a child.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2011