my baby is on his 4th ear infection! what should I do??

This is my first baby so I'm very confused on the whole ear infection thing. I know the doctors are going to want to put tubes in his ears if he has one more ear infection. I'm just scared I don't want my baby to have to have surgery! I also don't want him to suffer hearing loss for not getting tubes. Moms that have went through this what do you suggest and was it worth it? My baby is never happy and ALWAYS seems to be in pain it hurts me to see him so upset. (He's 4 months old and has had 4 ear infections btw)

luvsgriffin

Asked by luvsgriffin at 1:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son had tubes in his ears by about a year old. its no major surgery. they just go in with a tiny little thingy sorry dont know the name of it and put this little tub in ther. adventually they fall out and sometimes need to be replaced and other times they dont. it made my son feel better his ears were able to drain like they should. dont worry about it its not that big of a deal.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• All 3 of mine had pretty major ear infections - my youngest got em so bad her eardrums burst!! Trust me it's very hard to go thru and I know!! One day, my chiropractor told me to get "sweet oil" and put it in 1-2 times a day. It is extra virgin olive oil. You put 2 dops in each ear each time you do it. First, it completely STOPS the pain - thus no more screaming baby!! Thank God! Secondly, I noticed that they weren't getting them anymore - and haven't now in over 5 yrs!! I now only "sweet oil" their ears 1-2 times per month!! But I would stake my kids lives on it!! It was a miracle for us!! Also, if you aren't already, I would take baby to a chiropractor. It really really helps!! Mine have all been seeing one since birth. PM me with any questions....
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Both of my sons have had tubes in their ears. My 3 year old was deaf and not walking until he got his first set of tubes at 19 months. Today he's still in speech therapy and trying to catch up with his peers. Tomorrow he will be getting his 3rd set of tubes put in his ears. It will actually be his 5th total surgery. My now 22 month old got his tubes when he was 11 months old. It's scary knowing that your child is going to be put under and that you cannot be there with them, even when they are waking up. But the surgery itself isn't that bad. It very quick. My kids have been fine with each surgery. My suggestion is to go ahead and get the referral to an ENT doctor. See if you can find one that is an Allergy ENT doctor.

boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 1:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Both of my son's suffer from chronic seasonal allergies which then leads to the insane amount of ear infections. There are several causes of ear infections and it may be best to figure it out for your child. In my experience, pediatricians are the worst people to treat ear infections, they always want to use antibiotics when not every ear infection needs them. I always bypass ours and go straight to the ENT. Good luck and if you wanna talk some more about this please feel free to PM me.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 1:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My daughter has had nine ear infections since May. Her doctor said she doesn't need tubes yet, however, they said to make sure your child does not drink while laying down. They have tried many different antibiotic with my daughter and the last one seemed to knock everything right out of her. Good luck, I hope your little one feels better.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 1:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My oldest and my granddaughter (his child btw) both had two sets of tubes. In fact, her second set just dislodged in the last 6 weeks or so. I would do it over again in a heartbeat. They were both on antibiotics CONSTANTLY..thats a whole other set of problems. Lots of times it is about getting the fluid drained and then giving them a little time to grow. My son didn't have an infection until he was 23 months. Then the next 13 months it was like he was hardly without one. He was miserable. We were miserable. My g.daughter same basic thing. Before when a tube came out they would be reinfected within 3 weeks. So far so good this time. Good Luck
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I would get the tubes done. It's a very quick procedure. My neice was the crabbiest baby I have ever met all because of her poor little ears hurting all the time.. they got tubes placed and she in a new child! And I think she has only had 1 other ear infection since in 2 years... when prior to that she had them ALL the time and was on antibiotics everyother week I swear!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My midwives said I could put a few drops of my urine in my son's ears if an ear infection were to happen. I have never done that. Honestly, I swear by the chiropractor. They can adjust your child and reduce the frequency or eliminate ear infections.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 2:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I second the olive oil and chiropractor. You can also make or buy garlic oil, which is just olive oil with garlic in it. Garlic is anti-bacterial. I would try these alternatives before consenting to surgery, no matter how minor. You have nothing to lose, I'm sure you have olive oil in your home or can get some easily.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I third the garlic oil. Works like a charm!

Another way is to make natural oil that can be dropped inside the ear. To make garlic oil, place 1-2 cloves of chopped fresh garlic in a double boiler. Add olive oil. Cover it. This will mix the juice of the garlic with the olive oil. It is done if the garlic starts to turn black.
    TwentyFingers

Answer by TwentyFingers at 5:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2008